Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PK 232 MBX  (Read 489 times)
G0GQK

Ignore
« on: October 31, 2003, 02:20:08 PM »

From Mel Evans G0GQK
Gzerogqk@btinternet.com.
I have a PK 232. How can I use it on a PC using '98 ?
OBSERVER11

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2003, 03:06:00 PM »

Programs >Accessories >Communications >Hyperterm.

Open Hyperterm, config your COM port, turn the PK232 on and let it do the AUTOBAUD thing.

The PK232 doesnt much care if you are using a computer or a teleprinter with an RS232C port, the output from the PK232 is ASCii text.

N4ZOU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2003, 03:06:44 PM »

First of all you will need a serial port. Some computers sold today no longer have them. If you do not have one you will need a USB to serial converter for use with it. Next you will need a terminal program to access the PK-232MBX. You may use Hyper terminal available in your Windows OS or download a free Logging program called Logger. It has a nice terminal in the program that is simple to program the many micros available for use with not only the PK-232MBX but also any other TNC. The link to download Logger is
 http://www.qsl.net/kc4elo/
You want to download the older Logger program and maby the upgrade to it. Do not bother downloading Logger 32 which is in Bata testing at this time does not have the terminal program yet installed and so you would be unhappy with it. While your at it you might also want to build a special interface box to use with the TNC. This interface is built with a DPDT switch to select eather the PK-232MBX TNC or with interface circuits made to connect to your computers sound card. You may download a PDF format file on building this interface at
 http://www.geocities.com/n4zou/files/tnc-psk.pdf
this will allow you to use sound card programs for modes like PSK-31 and modes like ARQ Amtor and ARQ mode Pactor available only on a TNC like the PK-232MBX.
K8JDC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2003, 07:40:46 PM »

The Hyperterminal approach is the "manual" approach to configuring the PK-232 and can be frustrating for new users.  One thing you can do is download a demo copy of PKTerm software from CSS (www.cssincorp.com) and try it out to get a feel for what your MBX can do.  (I have a MBX unit that I bought used and upgraded with their latest firmware, DSP upgrade, and sound card interface).  PKTerm will take care of setting the individual variables when you want to go to RTTY or PACTOR or whatever.  For new users, it helps take the pain out of figuring out what you need to change to get a specific mode up and working.  I think the demo version will work for 30 days.

JDC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: