Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HOW TO PROPERLY INSTALL 811A TUBES  (Read 3553 times)
KT4WO

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2009, 12:19:39 PM »

"When ham radio is done correctly, its participants are in a constant state of change, hopefully for the better. We each try to improve our often-divergent sets of skills and knowledge with each passing day. "

This is alot of what I mean by my comment about
"CW does not make you a "real" ham"

Fixing, building and learning----thats what I mean.

AND--Jim, part of the reason for keeping my Advanced
is so folks will know I passed the code.
Is this "Right" or "Wrong"...does it really mean anything?...dont care..its just in my mind. I worked hard for both the code and the theory...I made alot of contacts on CW between 5 and 13 wpm and was working hard on my 20 when it was dropped to 5. If I want to "wear the advanced as a badge"..thats for me to do...I dont care if you have the code or dont..I will treat you the same..I just dont care about anyone else(as far as the code go's)...We are all hams,,,tech>extra..what I DONT like to see is the PnP hams...build a antenna.. or something!...just learn!!
dont be a appliance(sp?) operator!

KT4WO - Trip
K9FON

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2009, 06:12:31 PM »

There are a few of us that passed the General at 5 WPM and use CW and can copy and send at 10 WPM or better. I do use CW from time to time but to me i have to be in the mood for it. When i do use it i have more fun that i do on phone. If i would have played my cards right, i would have been a ham over 15 years ago and passed under the old 13 WPM to get my General and Advanced. But alas, life happens. Women, jobs, and other interests put aside me getting my ham ticket.
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2009, 09:28:38 AM »

Who cares?  It's not about you.

Vince
K9FON

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2009, 05:36:34 PM »

And its not about you either so KMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
KF6OCI

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2009, 06:04:52 PM »

K4REB

Good question, better safe than sorry.

After reading the manual I wasn't clear on how to
ground the anode. Lucky I had some good people instruct
me from this forum.

Dan
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2009, 10:08:16 PM »

I don't want to add fuel to an already raging fire, but I might point out that if you had taken a little more time to give a bit more detail as to what sort of help you were needing in performing a tube replacement then a lot of this flack might (just might) have been avoided.

I see a lot of questions on the forums that need to be expanded in order to be more clear, so you're not the Lone Ranger here. Next time it might be advisable to give more detail.

If you separate the wheat from the chaff, your answer is in the posts. Good Luck.

W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
K4FX

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2009, 10:22:36 AM »

You guys need to give the fellow a break, perhaps he had used tube type rigs that had to be neutralized and just maybe, that was what he was inquiring about....either way what happened to simply answering the guys question?

When I started in ham radio many years ago you could ask any question and not be torn to shreds, and it was a lot better than it is today. A lot of hams prowl these forums just looking for something to jump on the other guy for. Some even jump on typos when there is nothing else "wrong". I guess it makes them feel important. For this fact I rarely ask or answer questions, it's just not worth the stress.

K4FX
TANAKASAN

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2009, 02:12:21 PM »

Interesting little firefight you have here.

The thing is, I've been a ham for 31 years but I've only ever worked with solid state kit. So, when the time came to replace the tubes in our club amplifier I posted a similar question. Why?

1) Make one mistake inside the PA compartment and the high voltages will probably kill you.

2) Tubes these days are kinda expensive, especially when buying a set of four like we did. It therefore pays to get it right first time.

3) An oscillating amplifier on 15m or 10m will probably get you all complaining so neutralization may have be needed and I hadn't the faintest idea what to do.

Whatever happened to 'if in doubt ASK!!'

Tanakasan
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2009, 04:36:53 PM »

<< And its not about you either so KMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!>>

Very intelligent response, FON.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
K9FON

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2009, 04:22:17 PM »

W3LK-- Ya' know, you have had it out for me since the first day i posted on here. I dont know what your issue is, OM. Is it because i am a fairly new op or you just dont like younger ops? Oh, i know its because I speak my mind and tell it like it is and in hammy, hammy, ham land that is not "fine buisness"!! There are not that many on here that i have a beef with but only you and a few others. The im "holier than thou because im a 20 WPM Extra" attitude is clearly present by many of your posts.

As far as i am concerned im DONE with this bulls*** post.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: