Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PSK31 on Icom 706  (Read 741 times)
N1ZHE

Ignore
« on: December 27, 2003, 09:36:46 AM »

I have an Icom IC-706MkIIG and I'm running a Rascal PSK31 interface and Winpskse 2.23.

I know the soundcard settings are critical and I think I just about have them sorted out, but I was wondering about the radio settings.

I have compression and DSP off, but I'm not sure where to set other settings.

Is anyone else running this setup, and if so, what settings did you change on the radio (from factory standard)?

Thanks & 73's.

David, N1ZHE
AG5Y

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2003, 10:29:27 AM »

I recently sold my 706 Mk2G but used the Rascal with it as well.  I didn't change any of the radio settings versus what I ran in voice mode.  I had the narrow filter installed and if there was a lot of noise or nearby QRM, I would activate the filter but other than that, I changed nothing.  I changed power output via the soundcard/computer only.  Good luck!

Dennis, AG5Y
OBSERVER11

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2003, 01:46:07 PM »

I have an IC-706MK2G, but I use Zakanaka and I go directly into the big din plug on the back of the radio, I do not use any after market interface.

For radio settings, use USB, set your VFO at 14.070 MHz. Turn the compression OFF, DSP only works on receive. Set the TX out at the highest, use your sound card properties to set the output power. Some say to set your VFO to 14.070.150, but I have found that the audio passband will not allow you to hear some of the Warblers at the bottom of the sub band, so I go down there and I work them just fine.

Set up the radio by using the meters, M4. MET, set for ALC. Transmit your test tone, using the sound card properties, adjust your output until the ALC meter just barely moves, then turn the output down just a tad. The radio llikes it better when there is zero ALC action. push the MET again to PWR, you should be transmitting at about 35 watts. If this is too much, you can drop your power with the sound card.

I have worked all states and about 85 countries using this setup.
AB8IG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2003, 01:50:11 PM »

I'm not using a '706 for PSK31, but when I use that mode I set my rig to around 30W RF output and lower the mike gain setting. That also allows the sound card adjustments to be a tad less sensitive. As you stated, speech compression and processing should be 'off' on the rig.

WinPSK used to have a selection for 'TX tune'. It would key the transmitter and give the user an idea what the transmitted signal looked like on the computer display.

Hope this helps,
Jim
KZ1X

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2003, 02:26:49 PM »

Check this out:

http://www.ssiserver.com/info/pskmeter

also the new Saratoga 1-lead 703/706 adapter looks great
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2003, 04:37:09 PM »

I have a Rascal and IC-706 MkIIg.

I reduce power through the "quick" menu (Q1) to power level 5 (50 watts?), and set the soundcard drive level so that the ALC meter just barely activates.  That gives me about 40 watts output, which is the continuous duty (AM/RTTY) suggested maximum.

According to the Icom service manual, the audio compressor is earlier in the audio chain than the signal-injection point the Rascal uses -- so it shouldn't matter if the compressor is turned on or off.  But I generally switch it off.

So far, good contacts, and good signal reports.
K9ZMD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2003, 03:48:47 PM »

IC 706MIIG here also, using a home brew interface with isolation transformers.  Using this setup procedure (into a dummy load) will give you a clean PSK signal:
-Turn off Compression.  
-Select H for RF Power setting, and set Mic to 3.
-Zero your interface and sound card level controls, then go to transmit & monitor power output as you increase the sound card and interface levels in small increments.  (Your output power should increase correspondingly, without any trace of ALC action.)
-Stop increasing the audio level controls when you reach about 30 Watts output.  All level controls will probably be somewhere near mid-range; avoid setting them to either extreme.
-Switch back to your antenna & you're ready to go on the air.  Use whichever audio control (sound card, interface, or Mic) is most convenient for slight increases or decreases in output power.  Always check to ensure there is no ALC activity at any power setting.  73 & have fun.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: