Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: black beauty caps  (Read 258 times)
N9NEO

Ignore
« on: January 03, 2004, 07:47:04 PM »

I have to replace some of those old tubular capacitors - I think Sprague 73p series @ 600v.  Is there a series that Digi-key offers to replace them?

N9NEO
KB8ASO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2004, 08:48:31 PM »

Check out Antique Electronic Supply at:

www.tubesandmore.com

They may have what you are looking for.

Randy AB9GO
AC5E

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2004, 08:48:44 PM »

Well that brings back memories. Unpleasant ones at that. I have not seen any of the old oil filled paper caps, either in wax or the black plastic "Black Beauties" in many years. Or Sangamon's red plastic leakers either.

Back when I made a living in electronics I changed every one I could get my hands on for the metallized mylar types such as Sprague's Orange Drops. I don't have a Digi-Key catalog here, but Newark lists Vishay/Sprague 715P series orange drops as current and I would recommend them.

They don't look authentic in anything made prior to 1962 or so, but they will last much much longer. And they don't leave that ugly puddle on the bottom of the case.

73 Pete Allen  AC5E

N4ZOU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2004, 09:11:02 PM »

Go to www.mouser and look up CORNELL DUBILIER Polyester Film Capacitors. These are very small compaired to the orange drop capacitors. So small that I was able to "open" up the Black Beauty plastic case allowing removal of the guts of the old capacitor and place one of the Polyester Film Capacitors inside and glue it back together. On old paper capacitors I rolled some paper up the correct size with the new capacitor inside. I also used a graphics program to print a copy of the outer cover for that capacitor and then diped the new capacitor and paper tube in hot wax and let it cool. You can't tell them from the old one! It's a little extreme but if you must have the origional look and still have it operate it's the only way to do it.
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2004, 09:43:09 PM »

Using N4ZOU's technique, how long will it be before an entire transceiver can be stuffed into a power transformer hull?  
Every year the parts get smaller and my eyesight gets worse.
Happy New Year
Allen
N9NEO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2004, 09:02:48 AM »

Ok, fb on caps.  Yes I like the N4ZOU approach.  And yes Allen, I agree.  I have one of those pocket magnifiers that I take everywhere.  In work it's SMD, at home it's toobs:)

Bob
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: