Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Homebrew portable HF antenna for hotel room (and s  (Read 1824 times)
KG4ONJ

Ignore
« on: January 26, 2004, 01:47:23 AM »

Hello!

I would like to build a portable antenna for use in hotel rooms while I am traveling.  I have an Icom 706MkIIG as well as an MFJ Tuner, both of which I travel with.  I am mostly interested in SSB on 17, 20 and 40 (possibly 80 as well, but that is probably out of reach).

I have heard of VHF and UHF antennas made of 300 ohm twin lead, but is there an HF version that rolls up well?

I know that most of the time it's not possible to put up anything outside the room, and I also know that whatever I use (especially if it's inside) that it will be pretty inefficient.  I would just like to have a little fun with something while I am traveling.

I'm willing to consider anything from wires to telescoping whips, as long as it will fit in a suitcase.  

Thanks for any help!

Michael Barr
KG4ONJ
KC8AXJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2004, 01:57:11 AM »

I made one of these and it works pretty fair. I feed it with 300 Ohm and tune with a MFJ 949E.

http://www.qsl.net/ae0q/slinky.htm

http://www.k4kr.com/pics/slinky.html

Good luck & 73
Steve

KG4ONJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2004, 09:19:41 AM »

Excellent!  Do you know if there are any instructions on the internet that describe the build process?

Thanks!

KG4ONJ
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2004, 10:13:13 AM »

Most hotels are constructed with lots of steel and I've not had any luck at all with an HF antenna inside. What does work to some degree is a short, loaded vertical attached to a balcony and several radial wires layed out along the floor or hanging down the outside. MFJ and Superantennas have some commercial versions. I'm sure you can find information on the loading coil design on the Internet.

Hotels also tend to be a very noisy environment which makes receiving rather difficult.
KC8AXJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2004, 01:15:52 PM »

Well there is no real complicated build process really.

1)Buy two slinkys
2)attach them to a center insulator of some type
3)feed each leg with 300 OHM (it's just a DIPOLE)

I ran a small cord through the(both) slinkys to tie it up with as just the slinkys streached out will sag quite a lot.Then just tape or tie the(slinky) ends up on the cord so the slinkys don't slide down on the cord when you hang it up. Center the feed point (center insulator) depending on the distance you have it strung out so that each "leg" is apx. equall in length.
Tune up and .........
Have Fun !
Steve

W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2004, 05:29:02 PM »

Hi Michael.

I have had a lot of fun with the cheap little travel antenna that I describe in my article on page 65 of the April, 2003 issue of QST.  It's small, lightweight, inexpensive and requires no tuner.

Good luck,

Terry, WØFM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: