Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Building my first antenna?  (Read 285 times)
KD7ZFH

Ignore
« on: January 29, 2004, 06:28:30 AM »

Can anyone suggest A good starter book for building beams and omni antennas.I know there are alot of books to choose from. Iam just looking to save some time and money Right now. Iam running on 2 meter's and I would like to build a beam.But I do want to expand to 6 meter and 440 and then on to the  HF fun stuff. I realize all that stuff couldent be in just one book so if any one could suggest a few good starter books for me  that would be great!
kd7zfh
ONL10619

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2004, 06:59:06 AM »

Try J Carr's Practical Antenna Handbook. You'll surely find a lot of useful information in there.

Good luck!
ONL10619
KC9AWS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2004, 09:40:33 AM »

If you will send me your email address, I'll send you a Tech Document that I wrote on how to build VHF Quads. This will greatly simplify how to build a quad, without all the Qs, Zs, and other confussing stuff. You can build from 2 elements to almost any amount of elements. If you have never used a quad, you will be suprised how well they work. I run a 2 meter 10 element quad and a 6 meter 8 element quad at my QTH. I will be glad to help you, if you have any questions. email: r.fickle@verizon.net   KC9AWS
N3BIF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2004, 11:19:39 AM »

Look on ebay, I got my ARRL antenna handbook dirt cheap, less than 5.00 shipped, actually the shipping cost more than the book, tremendous value,
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2004, 02:52:45 PM »

For focusing on VHF-UHF antenna design and construction, the ARRL VHF-UHF Manual is pretty good, as is the RSGB VHF-UHF Manual published in the U.K.

A good on-line resource which is a bit technically advanced for some but great reference material nonetheless is LB Cebik's (W4RNL's) website http://www.cebik.com

WB2WIK/6
AC4FD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2004, 04:55:11 PM »

Hi Tom,

I started building antennas back in 1975 for 11 Meters (before I was a Ham).  A fellow CB'er of my had given me a copy of the ARRL Handbook.  This book contains a wealth of information not only on building different types of antenna's for all bands from vlf through ehf... but also construction, radio wave propagation, transmission lines, etc.

I have continued to upgrade my ARRL handbook not because I like the ARRL... but because it is an excellent book.

This is one book that you will never need to throw away!

Good Luck!

Randy
KD7ZFH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2004, 05:54:41 AM »

Thanks for all the help!listen for me on the airways ,Talk to you soon
73 KD7ZFH
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: