Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QRP Linear, The Outcom OPA202 Wideband, 160w  (Read 1386 times)
SCUBA

Ignore
« on: March 18, 2007, 11:55:54 AM »

Recently acquired a Outcom OPA-202 wideband linear amp at a "swap meet."  I have yet to put it in service, meanwhile I'd appreciate hearing from any other OPA-101 or OPA-202 users.  

The OPA-202:
20 amps
Driving power AM 1 thru 7.5 watts, SSB 2-25 watts.
Freq Range 7 thru 30 mhz.
Output choices:
4 watts in - SSB: 30, 60, and 180 watts out
4 watts in - AM: 100 and 160 watts out

If I have to get a low pass filter, I will, but I could just use it mobile and not worry about filtering the output. Wink
Maybe it already is filtered, I dunno for sure.

KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 12:34:12 PM »

This is a Texas Star obsolete illegal CB amplifier.
It has NO filtering and will not meet FCC specifcations for use on the amateur bands.
Allen
SCUBA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 02:46:11 PM »

Dang!!!!  Bummer!  What a let-down!!!!

Fortunately I didn't pay much.  Guess I could build a homebrew linear and gut the Texas Star case and use the case.  Or, I could just sell it to a trucker, maybe.  

Sheesh, maybe I could house a spark-gap transmitter in the case.

Will the FCC ever legalize (properly built) QRP linears, or will things just stay this way forever?

Well, thanks for replying, even though the news is less than favorable.
Guess I better go lick my wounds.

Suggestions?  
N2VWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 06:02:10 PM »

There are qrp amplifiers that are legal, they meet the FCC requirements.

Gary n2vww
SCUBA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 08:36:01 PM »

Hi Gary
Hi Allen

The amp was in a box of parts and radios I bought real cheap, all I wanted was an SWR bridge and the rest of the stuff was incl in the deal.  Also got a 50 watt Pierce Simpson radio that caught on fire when I plugged it in.  Wierd, so I took it outside, opened it up, plugged it in again and a coil was smoking and burning up.  Strange.  

I could either give the amp to a CBer or use it for parts, or just gut out the case and use the case for a project.

The inside is rough looking, looks like the rosin seeped out from the solder joints.  It powers up ok, but I really don't plan to hard wire a FT817 to it; no telling what it might blow back thru the coax.  It'll probably look real nice under a CB'ers dash board.  

Not just here, but the more I tell people about it, the more I get beat up; so i guess I better qualify what I say/write about.

Jack
SCUBA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2007, 08:42:47 PM »

Hi Gary,

I didn't mean to say "beat up,"  I got cautioned by everyone I told about the amp; - cautioned not to use it.  

I have found some excellent kits out there (in addition to Ramsey kits); although I may wind up going the FT-897 route before the Yaesu sale price expires end of April.  

73/Jack
N2VWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2007, 09:15:02 PM »

Heavens sake don't give the amp to a CBer. Most hams want to rid the world of that junk. Use it for parts to build a project or two.

You will like the Yaesu, I have heard a few on the air and they do a good job.

Gary n2vww
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 06:27:44 AM »

Take it with you when scuba diving and forget to bring it back.  Illegal means illegal for anyone!
Allen
SCUBA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2007, 03:47:26 PM »

Hi Allen,

Underwater Linear, yeah, sounds good.

I can place it on a reef or something, photograph it, send the photo to a magazine.

I probably won't leave it in Davy Jones' Locker 'cause toxins might eventually get released as the sea water causes components to degrade over time.  

Thanks for the idea!
Jack
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2007, 12:20:47 PM »

I don't know about FCC certification, but Tokyo Hi Power makes a very nice 5 watt in 100 watt out 160 - 10 meter amp, including WARC bands.  This amp even automatically band switches along with the Yaesu FT 817.  This is not a CB amp but is a very high quality unit intended to be used with HAM QRP rigs.  I am sure it will meet FCC specs.  Whether or not they have gone to the trouble and expense to get the amp FCC certified is another matter.  Tokyo Hi Power is now advertising in HAM magazines and some of their amps are available in the US.  I know many HAMs using this amp with Yaesu FT 817 and similar rigs.  Most bought their amp directly from Tokyo Hi Power in Japan.  This is a simple matter and it will arrive at your door in about a week.
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2007, 06:50:51 AM »

Many companies that peddle this junk -- are desperate to sell (and get rid of) these bad linear amplfiers.  One photo on eBay, the poor guy had a full warehouse of them (don't think he was in USA).

Go to HF Projects, K5OOR.  Learned how a true linear mobile amplfier should be designed and built.
http://www.hfprojects.com/hfprojects/

Helge Granberg (sk) wrote many of the Motorola Application Notes for the bipolar and MOSEFT RF transsitors -- sadly many never read his work -- let alone try to understand what he said.

w9gb
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2007, 07:52:14 PM »

most of these "cb" amps are pretty dirty. they put out lots of spurios emmission so you don't want to use them on the air.  That said, parts is parts, you will find a couple of nice hi power tramnsistors in there and some ferrites and other parts, fine a schematic  for home brewing a good amp out of these parts. take pride in building something good out of this stuff.  some of these amps may  actually be legal in their country of origin, ( RM amps from italy comes to mind??) but a good indication is they have rf sensing and do not need a "key line" to operate and also need a max of 5 watts am or 12 watts ssb... cb amps for sure.

good luck and take pride in doing the right thing. and look at all the nice parts for your junk box.
WB8DMX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2009, 01:49:52 PM »

went to a swap meat and pick up outcom opa 101 do some one know the out put on the amp the amp look like new
VR2AX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2009, 01:02:51 AM »

The Tokyo Hy-Power HL-100Bdx is the 5W/10W in, 100W out HF/50MHz THP amp. It is a ery well built product (I had one until a few weeks ago, used it with a IC-703). Like all 12V amps, IMD is however in the low-20dbs. Unfortunately it is not FCC approved. This may be due to the fact that it operates on 10/12m straight from the box, but that is a guess as I am not technically competent to speak to what is required for FCC certification. It also incorporates RF sensing (as well as "hard key"switching - but you have to be "competent" enough to solder-up a DIN plug to achieve that). It is great with a FT-817, as the auto-bandchange function works with that radio.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: