Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PSK31 Transmit woes  (Read 366 times)
KI9S

Ignore
« on: February 01, 2004, 03:49:33 PM »

Hi everyone...

I have been struggling to get into PSK31 with a new computer/soundcard interface to my TS-930S. I am running Win200 Pro, using a SoundBlaster card to a newly-purchased SL-1+ interface. I have spent many hours trying to connenct the various components, and have been successful in copying PSK31 signals. However, when I try to transmit, I can trigger PTT and seem to have power output (reads 20 watts), and can MONI sounds from the rig. However, no one is copying my signal when I respond to a CQ, nor has anyone answered CQ using this mode. I have tried to keep from overdriving. I am not using speech processing, and am on USB. I am using the internal antenna tuner. I have tried adjusting the internal TX gain on the SL-1+, without success. I use AGC "slow" setting.

I have used the external SPKR jack on the TS-930S to the SPKR jack on the back of the SL-1+; I have the soundcard MIC jack connected to the MIC jack on the back of the interface, and the interface's COMPUTER SPKR jack connected to the speaker jack on the soundcard.

I hope these details will be helpful in your suggestions as to how to proceed next. I use Digipan version 1.7 as the driver software. Although the software does not specifically list Win2000Pro as a compatible OS, I have not encountered any of the problems that are mentioned specific to Win2000 users.

Any help is MUCH appreciated.

Stephen KI9S
G4IJE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2004, 05:12:07 PM »

I am not familiar with the SL-1+ interface but I assume you are closely following the example hookups that I assume are in the manual. If the interface's TX gain control is not functioning I suspect a hookup error. I use the West Mountain Radio Rigblaster interface and this provides ONLY the transmitting side of the required hookup. It is up to the user to route the receiver audio from the radio to the MIC (or LINE) input of the soundcard. To re-iterate this point, receiver audio and soundcard MIC connections are NOT made to the Rigblaster interface. The soundcard SPEAKER output goes to the interface which then routes it to the MICROPHONE input of the transceiver. You can then plug your normal PC speakers into the Rigblaster if you desire. Of course the SL-1+ may be different...

The sounds you are hearing from the transceivers monitor facility may just be PSK31 sounds from your PC speakers being picked up by a live microphone. You could possibly have an RF feedback problem although at low power and with a properly isolated interface this is unlikely.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

73, Paul G4IJE.
OBSERVER11

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2004, 06:48:23 PM »

do not know the SL+1... I assume this is a Tigertronics box...

Anyway, you can copy PSK31 signals, you transmit... ok..

Are you in USB?

When it goes to transmit, do you see RF output on the power meter on your radio?

If you get RF out, are you over driving the output? if you are, the other guys cant copy.

If you do not get RF out, are you sure you are getting audio to the SL1? and then out tot he mic input on the transceiver?
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2004, 06:52:22 PM »

It is possible that you are not transmitting exactly on your receive frequency. You don't have to be very far off (a matter of 10Hz or so) for the other station to not copy your signal. Make sure you don't have an offset turned on. Otherwise you probably need to find a local ham with PSK31 capabilities that can work with you over the phone to see what is going on (unless you have two rigs and computers available).
KI9S

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2004, 07:08:10 PM »

Thanks for the quick replies!

The SL-1+ is a Tigertronics interface; the instructions explicitly call for the supplied MIC connector from the radio to the interface AND two connections to the soundcard, as described in the original post.

Yes, I can copy (Rx) PSK; and yes, I get 25 watts power output from the rig's meter. I'm in USB. I have no way to know if I'm overdriving, BUT I have used the supplied instructions, driving the transmitter at just slightly above the gain needed to trigger PTT. On MONItoring the signal at the rig, there appears to be an audio signal coming from the transmitter. I am not using any offset/RIT etc.

Have checked the connections/setup several times using the manual, as well as numerous online resources. Hoping that I've missed something obvious but not stated, like that perhaps Digipan isn't compatible with my OS (Win200Pro), or something else equally subtle...

Stephen KI9S
K0HZI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2004, 09:53:06 PM »

Another thing you might check is the sound card setting in DigiPan, Configure, Sound card, verify that the correct sound card shows both the same for input and output.  Then also check the Configure, Waterfall drive, this is the receive control, check the slider that coresponds to the input like "Line In" or "What you hear" and that the check mark is under that slider.  Same for Transmitter drive, two things that should show are Volume and Wave sliders the other sliders can be muted, if there is a Line In slider there, that can be used for RX input depending on how the software set up the sound card .  Wave slider set at about the third bar from the bottom, Volume slider controls the audio going to the Mike or modulator of your rig, use the Volume slider to control the output power of the TX, careful not to overdrive.
Check this web page for sound card setting:
http://www.waypoint.com/users/~discobay/section_7.htm
EI2IV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2004, 10:34:02 PM »

Hi

I think it is one of two problems, both have been mentioned already,

It could be that your TX and Rx frequencies differ. That could be caused by the rig or software settings.(make sure your rit is off etc).

Or it could be that you are over driving your audio from the sound card. When I use PSK31 I always monitor my TX audio on a second hf reciever and I adjust the sound cards setings while listening to the second reciever.

just another thought you might need to put some ferrite rings on the interfacing cables if you have stray rf in the shack.

hope you get it sorted soon!

James

KI9S

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2004, 11:04:07 AM »

I'm thankful for all your suggestions here. The website offered by k)hzi was one I already had used for instructions; unfortunately, no luck with them. The offset frequency issue is one I mentioned already: I'm not using RIT, and am unsure how the software would create such an offset itself. Any details?

As for the overdriving issue, I wonder how listening to a second receiver would help detect overdriving... What exactly am I supposed to be listening for?

Keep the suggestions coming, everyone: it's a problem that's still not fixed...

Stephen KI9S
OBSERVER11

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2004, 01:09:58 PM »

one thing that no one has mentioned here...

Are you sure you are in BPSK mode??

"Tune" sends out a single tone so you can tune your transmitter and antenna, but if you are in TUNE mode, you will see indication that you are transmitting, but there is no data...

QPSK is usually higher up the band... and the way that I tell if it is BPSK or QPSK is using the Spectrum Display
EI2IV

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2004, 02:59:03 PM »

Hi Stephen

To answer your question abt how to use a second rx to monotor your psk 31 transmissions.

Turn on your rig to a psk frequency say 14.070 usb and listen for a few minutes you will hear the sound of psk 31 most of the signals will be good and clean because the audio levels are set correctly, look at your waterfall and you will see nice clean signals but within a few minutes you are bound to hear at least one over driven signal it will sound crap to the ear something like feedback sound and it will be wide and rough on the waterfall. If you have a second H.F. receiver tune it to your TX frequency with no antenna and RF gain to min etc and you will know strait away if you audio settings are incorrect, Then just adjust the PC volume control to sound right.

One other problem I had a few years back was the soundcard I had at the time didn't like (I can't remember which one it liked n which one it disliked) a mono or a stereo 3.5mm Jackplug in the speaker out, This might be worth a try also!

hope this helps

James
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: