Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: going through firewall in explorer?  (Read 227 times)
KG6SGP

Ignore
« on: March 25, 2004, 03:19:18 AM »

Hi all,

I'm running power cables from the battery back to both my vhf/uhf rig and my HF rig.  However at the moment I can't seem to see how to go through the firewall.  So right now I'm running it through the inside of the fender and around the inside of the door.  This, of course, is less-than-optimal for a variety of reasons.

Does anybody have an Explorer - mine is a '95, but I think most of the years from '95 through at least '02 are about the same, and likely the firewall situation is roughly the same on earlier models too - that knows how to go through the firewall?

Thanks in advance,
Dave KG6SGP
WB9JOX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2004, 03:36:24 AM »

Hi Dave, where harness goes through firewall on drivers side ,just fish a like a coat hanger or other stiff type wire along the harness.Then attach your wires to it and pull through under dash  near emergency brake . Works every time. It just takes patience.Good luck.
KC8AXJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2004, 01:06:05 PM »

Another option:

I had a '93 Exp. and drilled a hole through the fire wall. I drilled (3/8 ") from INSIDE, upper left area behind the park brake, so I had room to work the drill. Just make sure that you know where you come out on the other side in a good/safe place. Then put a rubber gromet in the hole and run the wires.The space is kind of tight in the engine compartment in that area because of the inner "wheel well" comming back to the firewall but there is room to do it.

Steve
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2004, 01:06:47 PM »

I'd be careful pulling wires with a coat hanger or any other metallic object. If your Explorer is like the 97's and later, there is a rubber plug on the lower left of the floorboard about where your left foot rests. It's not ideal either, so you'll need to cover the wires with split tubing or the like to protect them.

Alan, KØBG

WB9JOX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2004, 01:53:56 PM »

Hi Dave again,Maybe I should have mentioned protecting end of wire ,you have a few options.You can tape or fold wire over.I just figured you realized that. Dont like drilling holes because you must be exact.You dont want to drill into something that could cause serious damage.If you go around installers they will say same thing.Plus going along side harness wires not in the way .Plus there is not alot of room in that area and you dont want wires pushing carpeting out.It just not professional looking. I have done all my vehicles that way. Latest 2002 TUNDRA.Anyway your choice ,just really trying to give some input. Have a nice day . Ted
KG6SGP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2004, 02:15:16 PM »

Thanks for all the suggestions so far!  If there are any more, please feel free to add to what's been said already.

As for pulling with a coat hanger, that's how I did it to get through the inside of the fender.  I taped up a coat hanger and sent it through the hole, then I soldered circular connectors on the wire, wired that into the coat hanger, taped it up again and pulled through.  

I'll see if there's room in the harness, and I'll also look for the plug.  

Thanks again,
Dave KG6SGP
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2004, 07:36:14 PM »

The passenger side is usually a little better to try pulling wires through--it may also be better keeping the power wires away from the main harness wiring.  I've always had good luck going through an existing grommet, either the one for the vehicle radio antenna or the one for the blower motor (if no other option exists).

I know the AC core housing is there and takes a lot of space, but it usually is much easier on the passenger side.

Good luck!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: