Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Neutralization TS 830 saga continues  (Read 391 times)
WA2TCQ

Ignore
« on: March 25, 2004, 11:59:51 AM »

Thanks everyone for your input so far.  I have rigged up my 530 so that I am getting an s reading of about 9 with the rf gain all the way up.  I am not seeing any discernable deflection.  
My questions are:
1. How much of a deflection should I expect?
2. I am using an insulated screw driver on the trimmer capaitor in the final section. It has a steel tip. Do I need to use an all insulated alignment tool instead?
3. Does the trimmer capacitor have settings past 360 degrees (i.e. is it threaded inside and have a larger range)?  It does not appear to thread, but I want to be sure.
4 I sure hope I don't sound as dumb as I feel.

Thanks

WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2004, 12:30:44 PM »

The "dip" (in the external receiver's S-meter) when you adjust the neutralization cap is very obvious.  If you're not seeing any, something is wrong.  A small metal tip in the alignment tool shouldn't hurt, and the neutralization capacitor does not adjust beyond 360 degrees.

Do you have a local, experienced ham you can call to help you with this?  Possibly something obvious is wrong.  It would take dozens of questions and answers to go through an entire debug routine via e-mail; much more fruitful to have hands on the gear.

WB2WIK/6
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2004, 07:30:14 PM »

If you are using an insulated screwdriver, the shaft of the screwdriver is steel, covered by insulation.  It will throw the adjustment off--way off.  Consider the adjusting capacitor, put more metal in the field and you change the capacitance.

You need a fiber or plastic core adjustment tool--I believe they are still available from the Radio Shack website, (OK, OK--I won't swear anymore) or an electronic parts supplier.  If you try to adjust the cap with anything else (steel), it'll throw the adjustment off as soon as the adjustment tool gets within about a half inch of the cap.

Good luck!
KB9GKC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2004, 07:58:01 PM »

Hello,

My experience with neutralization is as follows.

Generally the manual recommends to neutralize on 10 meters.  From my experience I neutralize on 20 meters and get a good dip there, then I go to 10 meters and the adjustment is within a frogs hair of being correct, just look very closely.

If you can't neutralize the radio on 20 then you need to try a different set of tubes.

Good Luck,
Douglas
W4TYU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2004, 08:26:43 PM »

A knitting needle filed to a chisel point makes a dandy adjustment tool. Just be sure to obtain a plastic one.

Ole man JEAN
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: