Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: computer file transfer over radio?  (Read 2725 times)
SCANNER

Ignore
« on: January 28, 2004, 01:07:44 AM »

I have a PC/TS-2000/RigblasterPro and a LaptopPC/TH-F6A/RigblasterNomic(Experimenter). My goal is to be able to transfer files back and forth between these two computers over radio. 9600 baud is plenty for these text files. I've been studying up on this issue, and I've set up and run EchoLink on my PC/TS-2000 without a problem, so I'm not completely feckless, But I have enough knowledge gaps regarding various of the elements I need to coordinate, that I can't quite even formulate an overall plan for a working system. I figured that ftp is the way to go, and since I eventually want to be able to telnet to the PC/base station, I figured also that TCP/IP over radio is somehow what I want, so I've been looking into TNOS from lantz.com. I realized I was out of my depth, though, when I tried to configure TNOS and could not tell how it actually interfaced with the radios.

I tried querying the folks on my local repeater since there are several computer people who frequent it, but no one had tried transferring files. Their advice and suggestions for sources has gotten me this far, but they're all into APRS, EchoLink, and PSK31, etc. As I said, I've been examining this issue via internet sources, but I've never found a beginning-to-end recipe to try to map onto. I can't quite see a plan for coordinating these elements into a working file transfer or TCP/IP system. Is this doable for a non-super expert? For example, 1) I'm only half-prepared to build the cable I'm going to need to hook up the HT to the Nomic; and 2) when trying to install TNOS, it started asking me some configuration questions that I wasn't certain how to answer. Am I at least going about this with approximately the right hardware/software combination?
OBSERVER11

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2004, 01:19:58 AM »

couple issues here;
the first being that you may not transfer copyright material via ham radio.
even at 9k6, the process is PAINFULLY SLOW.
and if the legal issue is met, to get the speed, you will need to be way up the band. So why not 1.2GHz using 802.11b...

read "copyright" as "commercial" as "copyright" material is usually so to protect the property, making it "commercial".

As I sit here, I was thinking, program in VB, then send the text via radio as a text file, compile at the remote end... but again, it must not be for commercial use and you are in fact "PUBLISHING" the script since it is being broadcast...

So... why bother?
SCANNER

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2004, 01:31:12 AM »

I should have made my disclaimers more clear, but my post was already long. I really do want to do this for good  and upstanding reasons, and am aware of the legal restrictions I have to operate within, and with 802.11b. I chose the Elmer's forum to try to get help with the "how", but I'd be happy to chew the fat about the "why" if you want to start a new thread in a more appropriate forum.
KB3JJG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2004, 11:47:07 AM »

Have a look here,
http://www.elcom.gr/sv2agw/pepro.htm

I played with this some months ago with limited success, but stil worth a look. The author does provide a documneted DLL reference and instructions for using the winsock control in your own apps, good luck.
73 joe kb3jjg

SCANNER

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2004, 03:05:33 PM »

Thanks, I'm checking that out. Can you say more about your limited success?
G0TDY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2004, 09:01:55 AM »

Did you succed on this file transfer over radio ?.

I was thinking the same thing, so we could have a link between two stations and transfer emails, files, share printers etc, so we would need tcp/ip over radio, but I dont have a TNC or modem this purpose.
KC0YEW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 02:35:08 PM »

essentially this sounds like radio modem, eg simmilar to the same way faxes are sent i have sent files from pc to pc over phone line using the kermit protocol theoretically you might be able to use the kermit protocol to transfer files from pc through radio to radio through to to pc.  I am unsure of legalities of doing this over radio but it would be one *very* interesting project but you might have to get *somebody's*  approval before starting a project like that.  Here is an interesting refrence that i just turned up on the internet.   http://hacknmod.com/hack/how-to-transfer-files-using-soundwaves/
KD8KCH

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 07:36:04 PM »

You could try Fldigi using Flmsg. Our ARES group is using this on 2M simplex with a mode of MT63-2K. You could use the blank form of Flmsg.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 08:11:04 AM »

Whatever protocol you use must be ARQ (automatic repeat request) with error checking if you want to ensure that the file reaches the other end without containing errors.
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2013, 03:38:11 PM »

Simple text files will go OK, but nowadays the big files can choke a system or REALLY slow it down.  I haven't done it with sound cards, but I have with serial ports and external TNCs.  Big limits will be 300 baud at HF, 1200 at VHF and you have to go to UHF and above for any real bandwidth.
However, I would first ask if you have successfully done it with dial tones and modems?
If you have, then you can get the increased delays and turnaround times that radios intail.  (A full dux arrangement is much easier to set up than a half dux linkup.)

-Mike.
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2013, 06:21:43 PM »

You could try Fldigi using Flmsg. Our ARES group is using this on 2M simplex with a mode of MT63-2K. You could use the blank form of Flmsg.

This is proven technology.

So is WINMOR -- there's a Yahoo group for it.   It was designed as a substitute for PACTOR II, and (I think) runs at less than 9.6 kBaud.

So is D-RATS --- a D-Star-based text transfer protocol.

All those are ARQ protocols -- that is, they retry packets, and guarantee correct file transfer end-to-end.

As everyone says -- they're slow.  But they work.

.            Charles
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: