Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HT Power Supply  (Read 334 times)
WD8PHW

Ignore
« on: March 31, 2004, 04:01:34 PM »

Hello,

I need a 9V/800mA power supply for my HT.  Can I use an "AC/DC adaptor" with the correct specs.?  You know, the little black boxes("converters") often used now a-days. Are these typically filtered and regulated?

Greg  
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2004, 04:06:09 PM »

Some are filtered and regulated and some are not. Some are switching supplies that can generate a lot of RF hash in your receiver.

I have a small MFJ switching power supply that is very quiet. I believe it is 2.8A or something like that.

The other issue is to be sure your HT is set up to be powered from an external DC supply. Don't connect an external power supply to the battery charger connector as it may ruin your batteries.
K5DVW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2004, 04:43:35 PM »

Yes, you can, BUT... depending on the HT and the wall wart transformer you can get some tremendous 60Hz buzz on your signal when transmitting. It'll work fine for listening. When choosing a wall transformer figure what the worst case current you think you'll need and then at least double it, if not triple it. Less sag on the wall transformer would be less buzz in your audio.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2004, 06:14:14 PM »

I would definately advise against using an unregulated wall-wart supply with your HT if you value the HT at all. An unregulated supply rated at say 12V, 1A generally puts out more that 12V when you are drawing less than 1A of current (as in receive). How much more depends on the supply and how much the radio can stand depends on the radio. It's probably not worth the risk to save a few bucks on a properly regulated supply.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2004, 07:03:45 PM »

The ones that are filtered and regulated are usually labeled, "power supply."  The ones that aren't are usually labeled, "charger."

There is absolutely no reason for a charger to have filtering or regulation.

WB2WIK/6
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2004, 12:17:29 PM »

Investigate the proper supply for your radio through a dealer of those radios.  The dealer will be able to tell you the one that will properly fit and power your radio.  The extra money you spend on the proper supply will be worth it in terms of clean power for transmitting and not damaging your handheld.

Remember the FRAM filter commercials, the words hold true for a lot of things:  "You can pay me now, or you can pay me later."  In this case, you can pay A LOT MORE later!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: