Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood TM-241 A  (Read 1205 times)
KD4JBL

Ignore
« on: March 15, 2004, 07:22:25 AM »

I have a Kenwood TM-241A 144MHz.I can't set the memory recall.using the manual in the VFO mode and tuning.It will go to 145.995  and then back to 118.000.
Need help..
73's KD4JBL
N4FBI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2004, 02:02:54 PM »

Are you wanting to program in a memory frequency  that's out of (ham) band and it wont let you tune up that high? I had similar trouble with my 241 and I ended up having to delete everything and re-program all the memory channels. You may want to write everything down beforehand (offsets, tones,etc.) if you have to do that too. The manual is not very clear on some programming instructions, but what has happend is, somehow your "upper limits" got changed. Try doing the total memory delete and reprogram, and if that doesn't clear it up, send me an email and I'll see if I can't walk you through something else.
AK7P

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2004, 03:44:39 PM »

I have a 241 which I bought new and the first thing I would do, ( and have had to do numerous times) is reset the processor.  The one I have exhibits such things as a plus and minus shift for repeater work which takes a bit of fooling around to clear.  The other repondent is probably correct regarding the upper freq. limit being set incorrectly. In either case, I would still do a master reset and start again.

Good DX,
Mike
AK7P
KE4MOB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2004, 02:07:14 PM »

Funny you should have that problem...recently my 241 would only tune from 146 to 174 by using the VFO.  A reset would bring in back into kilter for a couple of days, but then it would lock out everything below 146 again.

I would look at the grounding of the circuit boards in the front panel.  On mine, some of the grounding pads on the circuit board had worn to the point where the screw no longer contacted the copper trace on the board.  I made small washers out of copper sheet and then stacked the washers up until the screw regained contact with the board.

KD4JBL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2004, 06:49:06 AM »

I would like thank everyone at eHam.net for the help.
I push the VFO key and turn on the power key .The VFO was reset and I was able to start over...note I was able to maintain the memory recall.

Thanks again,

KD4JBL
TI-AMG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2004, 01:19:29 PM »

Last year I bought from a friend in Costa Rica a Kenwwod TM-241A (in US$75). I tried to build the antenna but I couldn't, and I couldn't find anybody who make or sale antennas for this kind of radios either. My friend has one but he needs it. My main interest is to listen the aviation frequencies (118-130 Mhz). Now I'm in United States I want to buy one. I was looking at radioshack.com because I'm looking for a scanner also, and I found an antenna with the following characteristics:

Omnidirectional, rugged stainless steel construction
• Wide 25-1300MHz coverage
• Also for transmitting on 50, 144, 220, 440, 900 and 1296MHz ham bands
• Resonator and tunable whip for best 50MHz performance
• About 44 inches high overall
• Fits mast up to 1.5 inches in diameter
• Accepts PL-259 connector

(here's the link  http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F008%5F009%5F001%5F002&product%5Fid=20%2D043 )

I see it says it covers 25-1300MHz, but I really don't know much about this. Other question. The 2m frequency goes from 50 to 144 right? does the guys of Radio Shack program it to leave it working in 2m or you have to do that?

How about this antenna? works the same way? I interested on it because it's cheaper and specifies is for 2 meter. Can somebody help me on this please?

those are the charcateristics...
Ready to use on Ham 2-meter band, easily trimmed for use with business, GMRS, marine or other radios up to 500MHz. Stainless steel whip. Strong magnet. Prewired 12-foot cable with PL-259 plug.

the link for that one is: http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F008%5F009%5F001%5F002&product%5Fid=940%2D0870

how about the signal reception? my homwtown is pretty far from the radio stations and it's like in the bottom of a valley, so, could it work there?

Can somebody suggest me other antennas/brands who can be used for what I need them? (maybe Yaesu or Kenwood make them, but I don't find them and there are no Yaesu-Kenwood stores surrounding the city where I live (close to NE Phila, PA)

Thank you very much buddies.
Adolfo (write me a mail or place your reply if you can help me....... PLEASE!!!)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: