Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RTTY SOFTWARE  (Read 452 times)
NG1I

Ignore
« on: April 07, 2004, 05:53:20 PM »

CAN ANYONE SUGGEST A GOOD PIECE OF SOFTWARE TO USE WITH THE MFJ SOUND CARD RADIO INTERFACE? BELIEVE IT OR NOT, THE UNIT WORKS WELL BUT I'M NOT IMPRESSED WITH THE MIXW2.LOG SOFTWARE THAT CAME WITH IT AS SHAREWARE AND I'D RATHER SPEND THE HARD EARNED $$$ ON SOFTWARE EASY TO USE AND EVEN HAS DIRECTIONS ON HOW TO USE IT.
THANKS IN ADVANCE!
73 FRANK NG1I
W6VPS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2004, 06:12:06 PM »

Why not do a Google search on rtty software? You'll find a BUNCH of stuff including this site which has links to many software sites.

http://www.csun.edu/~vfeen0br/johnpage/rttysoft.html

73/W6VPS - Paul
LU1HQV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2004, 06:20:56 PM »

www.dxzone.com
K0RFD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2004, 07:10:03 PM »

You probably need to decide what you're going to be doing in the way of RTTY.  Also if your interface and radio are capable of supporting FSK or just AFSK.

MMTTY is absolutely terrific sound card RTTY software, supporting both AFSK and FSK (with an extra DLL) and it's free.  If it has a weakness, I would say it's in the area of contest logging.  Although MMTTY is capable of being used as a contest logger, it has very few features.  Other packages such as N1MM Logger, use the MMTTY RTTY engine to handle RTTY but have their own niceties as far as contest logging.

If you are just going to get on the air and DX or Ragchew on RTTY, MMTTY is fine and will export ADIF files so that you can move your RTTY logs into whatever other software you use for logging.

Why not go to http://lists.contesting.com/ and thumb thru the archives of the RTTY list.  You'll quickly get a feel for what other people use.

By the way, what's not to like about MIXW?  It's pretty good software!  Again, a little crippled as a contest logger, but it works great for both RTTY and PSK, so you only have to learn one software package, one macro language, etc.  Knowing how to use ONE package well is a great advantage.
NG1I

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2004, 07:47:44 PM »

Thank for all the info....I shouldn't say everything is wrong with the software MIX, I've only been on a day for the first time on rtty. The thing is there isn't much in help files as far as I can figure out as to how to as it and fill in macros. I don't know if I should go FSK or AFSK.....seems many like FSK and don't have nearly enough experience to know if my MFJ Sound Card Radio Interface with MIX will do well with my unit and TS-430.

Another learning process again.....but that's not bad  (:

Frank
NG1I
MA
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2004, 07:57:02 PM »

You might want to check the MixW web site for updates and help files. Perhaps what was supplied with the interface was not up-to-date or complete. MixW is one of the best programs I've seen for all the sound card modes.
K0HZI

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2004, 09:47:36 PM »

Check the MixW Yahoo egroup: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mixw/
The extra MixW help files are in the "Files" section. Macros are configured by right click on a macro button, there are many types of macros so look at the macro "menu".  Also if you filled out your "Personal data" in MixW under "Configure" you call and QTH will be inserted in the macros by default. Also post on the MixW site, a lot of help there from users too.  AFSK is easy to use and hardly anyone but the "died in the wool" RTTY users do the hard key FSK these days, the sound card programs have great "audio filters" built in.  
K0RFD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2004, 10:22:09 PM »

If your radio and interface support FSK, it's much less trouble in the long run. Although K0HZI said "AFSK is easy to use and hardly anyone but the 'died (sic) in the wool' RTTY users do the hard key FSK these days" that may be a bit of an overstatement.

I'm not a dyed in the wool RTTY operator, actually, I'm pretty new to it.  But I considered the pluses and minuses of each method before I settled on FSK as my own personal way to go.

The following discussion assumes that you DON'T have a dedicated FSK unit separate and apart from your radio...

If your radio and interface both support FSK, FSK tones are generated by your radio by keying a control line on and off.  No transmit audio tones are generated by the computer, just a simple on/off, which in most cases comes from the serial port.  FSK is not unlike CW x 2 -- mark and space carriers are generated according to the shift and offset you set in your radio.  With AFSK, your radio is set to SSB (most often LSB here) and your sound card is generating audio tones offset and shifted to the required degree.  You have to watch your audio output levels and be careful not to overdrive the audio input of your transceiver.

On the plus side of FSK, the offset and shift are more precise (provided the radio does a good job, of course) and you don't have to watch your sound card audio output levels because the sound card isn't generating the signal.  On the minus side of FSK, not all radios and interfaces support it.  On the plus side of AFSK, it's more universally available, virtually any sound card and radio can be made to work in AFSK mode.  On the minus side of AFSK, it's less precise and requires a constant watch on your audio levels, unless you don't MIND splattering all over creation.

Because my radio supports FSK and because I homebrewed my own interface to key FSK with the serial port TxD line, I much prefer to operate RTTY in FSK mode.  It's a "set it and forget it" thing with my gear.  Your mileage may vary.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2004, 12:16:41 AM »

If your radio supports direct FSK *and* you don't want to work any digital modes other than RTTY then direct FSK is the way to go. However, most of the newer digital modes like PSK31 require you to use the transmitter's audio input so it is probably easier to just run RTTY that way as well.
OLDFART13

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2004, 12:44:18 AM »

MMTTY
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2004, 04:55:41 AM »

mmtty
KA2UUP

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2004, 09:50:02 AM »

Try MMTTY or Hamscope.  Both are free and FSK capable.  Hamscope offers the advantage that it uses the MMTTY engine, too, plus is very good for PSK31 and other modes.

Good luck the Bert @ KA2UUP
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2004, 01:57:01 PM »

Just one more vote for MMTTY.  

I've run a few contests using N1MM Logger and the MMTTY RTTY software, in AFSK mode.  After figuring out N1MM Logger, everything worked fine.

MMTTY on its own is pretty simple and very effective -- and free.

There's a "how-to-RTTY" page on the Web that's referenced in the MMTTY download page.  It's good.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: