Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting a rope over a tall tree  (Read 4656 times)
WM5Z

Ignore
« on: April 03, 2004, 11:40:50 PM »

Hi all.

I have a need to get a rope over as high a branch as possible on a tree. I have tried the sling-shot method, but I could only get it to go over about the 35 foot branches. This was after several shots that hit my thumb! Any ideas?

This is an old elm tree, and I don't think this tree would support my weight if I tried to climb it higher than I already have the rope.
K0RFD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2004, 11:52:18 PM »

1. bow and arrow
2. bucket truck
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2004, 11:55:00 PM »

I'm able to get a line over a 70' tree everytime with a regular slingshot.  Are you using too heavy a line?  I first shoot a fishing line over, with either a large nut or lead weight.  I use that to pull up a small diameter nylon line, and then use the nylon line to pull up the final 3/16 or 1/4" line for the antenna.  
K2WH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2004, 11:55:46 PM »

Maybe you should let someone else give it a try.  With a standard slingshot and a 2oz lead weight, I can get a line over a 80-90 ft tree fairly easily.

K2WH
KE4MOB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2004, 12:05:54 AM »

And use at least 20 lb test!

Even better: surf casting rod.
W0UCE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2004, 01:09:34 AM »

I use an ez-hang slingshot / fishing reel combination and can put a line over most any tree around this part of NC.  Shoot a light weight pull line over first then pull up the antenna support rope.

Good luck...

Jack W0UCE
Raleigh, NC
K9ZF

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2004, 03:14:08 AM »

I've been pretty successful with a bow and arrow.  However, I usually use a fishing rod and reel.

I put 2 or 3 oz. of weight on the fishing line, cast over the tree, tie the line to the needed rope, then reel the line back in to raise the rope.  I have a 60' tree in the back yard that I have put several lines over this way.

If I needed much more height, or accuracy, I would get out the bow.  I used to have a 50' tower.  I used to use the bow to launch lines through the top rung of the tower and pull up wire dipoles and such. [I don't climb!]

Good luck,
Dan
Dan Evans K9ZF
Scottsburg, IN 47170
{EM78}
K9ZF /R no budget Rover
ex-N9RLA
Check out the Rover Resource Page at:
http://www.qsl.net/n9rla
QRP-l #1269
Central States VHF Society
IN-Ham list administrator

--
K9ZF
Amateur Radio Emergency Service, Clark County Indiana. EM78el
The once and future K9ZF /R no budget Rover
 ***QRP-l #1269
Check out the Rover Resource Page at:
<http://www.qsl.net/n9rla>
List Administrator for: InHam+grid-loc+ham-books
Ask me how to join the Indiana Ham Maili
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2004, 10:33:06 AM »

Fishing rod with heavy duty fishing line.
KT8K

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2004, 11:16:54 AM »

I use a braided fishing line - very light, strong (15 pound test or better), and slippery.  I also find the slingshot works better for me when shooting straight up through the tree branches, but the casting rod works better in projecting the line more horizontally to get over a tree.  A four ounce weight will break right off the end of most line and wind up on your neighbor's roof with a loud clunk, even if nothing is restricting the line (experience ...) but a one or two ounce weight will probably work fine.
Make sure any possible landing zone for your weight is cleared of car windshields and glass greenhouses before launching.
Good luck es best rx de kt8k - Tim
AC5E

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2004, 12:52:17 PM »

Well, I have had good luck with a compound bow and a bowfishing rig - but be darn careful about what's behind the tree you are shooting over. From experience - an arrow through a neighbors roof is embarassing.

Better is one of the Whammo type slingshots with a 1 to 2 ounce pyramid sinker and a spinning reel full of 15 pound test monofilament line. This will put monofilament over a limb at least 100 feet up.

When you get the pilot line over unhook the sinker and attach a heavier line, then whatever rope you intend to use. Use good knots and use tape to "stramline" them so they don't snag as you pull progressively heavier line up.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E

K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2004, 01:30:54 PM »

I went through this about a year ago, needing to get a wire over the crowns of some 50-60ft trees in my yard.  The EZ hang sling shot was a joke, I could almost throw a weight by hand as far and as accurately as it could.  I looked around at various stores for an inexpensive bow and arrow set.  Thanks to liability I'm sure, there is no such thing as a child's inexpensive bow and arrow set, only expensive hunting models for adults.  Then I remembered a QRP buddy of mine having an "antenna launcher" he used while in the field to put up his portable wire antennas.  All it amounted to was a compressed air spud gun and a fishing reel.  A plastic plug takes the place of the spud which takes the fishing line with it when launched.  So I duplicated the setup for the sum total of less than $20, the most expensive part being the 24V sprinkler valve from Lowe's.  Using this launcher literally gives you point and shoot antenna placement capability.  Not only can I get a line over a tree, I can even pick the branch I want.  Adjusting the pressure determines your range.  At full pressure I can easily run all the line off the fishing spool, more than 60 yards, at a height than can go over any tree I've encountered.  Might seem like a lot of trouble to go through to get a line over a tree, but it was quick, simple and cheap to build and along with a 12 tire inflator and gel cel to charge it up, is portable and quick to use.  It was a real time saver during Field Day putting antennas up.  When you're not putting up antennas it'll launch a spud well over 100 yards, adding to the between QSO fun.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
N8FVJ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2004, 01:55:14 PM »

I need not add a 'how to' comment here. However, I believe ham radio operators invented the DIY & 'there has to be a way' type phrases,
WM5Z

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2004, 03:37:07 PM »

>All it amounted to was a compressed air spud gun and
>a fishing reel. A plastic plug takes the place of
>the spud which takes the fishing line with it when
>launched. So I duplicated the setup for the sum
>total of less than $20, the most expensive part
>being the 24V sprinkler valve from Lowe's.

OK, Now we are talking. Tell me how to build it please! I tried everything else. Don't have access to archery stuff, and the slingshot did nothing.
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2004, 07:15:49 PM »

I always use a bow and arrow. I fill a hollow arrow with solder, and use a 5 or 8 pound fish line.

Then I pull a string back, and then I use the string to pull a rope.

I can easily get a line laying over the tops of a group of 100-foot trees with a 65 pound bow.

If the tree area is more than 50-100 feet wide, I use a kite.

73 Tom
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2004, 03:12:09 PM »

I use a trained squirrel.  

WB2WIK/6

Isn't it still April 1?

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: