Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I wish I were Born 50 years ago  (Read 805 times)
KC8YXA

Ignore
« on: February 09, 2004, 10:02:31 PM »

Tubes were in there hay day and were a lot cheaper than they are today. I can still remember my Dad buying
A set of 3-500Z for under 25 dollars I wish I could go back and buy up 100 pair Id be set for life
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2004, 03:56:04 AM »

There are advantages and disadvantages to "The good old days."   That $25 for transmitting tubes may have represented one to two days wages back then; perhaps even more.  They were usually a significant expense even in those days.  
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2004, 02:58:06 PM »

In 1954 I worked in my parent's sporting goods store tying tennis rackets. I made enough to satisfy the needs of a teenager, but little else. A new Heath transmitter cost nearly a half of a Summer's earnings, and new receivers even more.

Now I'm retired and my fixed income is enough to buy any reasonably priced transceiver for cash.

Good Old Days? Humbug!

Alan, KØBG

NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2004, 06:29:11 PM »

Well, I wonder if  purchasing all those tubes would have you set for life.  Seems I've heard that the 3-500Z has a shelf life if not used regularly.  Am I wrong about this?  
AD7DB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2004, 01:30:42 PM »

Yeah and that $200 transmitter back then would be the equivalent of something like $3000 now. You also had to notify the FCC in writing if you planned to operate on vacation, with a detailed itinerary way in advance. Operating mobile? The equipment takes up most of the front seat. Don't forget to leave the engine running or your battery will be dead in short order. Fortunately the gas is only 25 cents a gallon. That's good because you make only $3000 a year...

K4KWH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2004, 02:29:48 PM »

These h'yar young whippersnappers jist don't know they got it so good.  LOL!  Well, I was born *over* 50
years ago and remember those "good old days". Seriously, those good old days were good simply because we didn't KNOW any better and did the best we could with what we had.  Yeah, yeah, gas was 19.9 cent
a gallon and a new car was around $2800 ('66 Mustang),
BUT...........!  I think just after high school I worked for $1.25 an hour and you were lucky to get 40 hrs.

I couldn't afford "new" radios either. One of my first
radios was an old Aerotron VHF AM (not FM); you could
spit as far as it would talk! I paid $50 for it on "time". LOL!

When I first got an HF rig, I was really uptown! I traded around and got a Lettine 240 (I still see 'em
around hamfests) and a Master Mobile coil and whip.
If you left your filaments on for 30 minutes it would
run your battery down FLAT! (807 final) My trunk in my
'67 Chevy was full of radio, dynamotor power supply,
change over relays and wires everywhere. I put out a
whopping 65 watts. LOL! Less if you consider that I
didn't know BEANS about how to set up an HF mobile.

But I don't think I would wanna go back to 1966. What would we have thought if someone had told us that we
could have a rig you could hold in your hand, put out
100 watts, do HF, 6 Meters, 2M, 70 CM, general coverage AND a scanner (IC706) in one?   Why, we would
have laughed him out of town! In those days of back-
straining boat anchor rigs, it could not have been
conceived of.

Go back?   NAAAAAAAAA, I have some fond memories, but
we truly are better off.  Even if tubes cost $200 apiece!  And I can leave my "filaments" (us old fellers know about that) on by accident and not worry about it.

K4KWH
N0TONE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2004, 06:53:29 PM »

I remember when 3-500 tubes were only $25 each.  That was a full week's income, too.  I don't miss it.

The time when tubes were cheap compared to other things was in the 1960s and 1970s.  Ever wonder why the Heathkit SB-220 has two tubes, even though they only get as much power from them as you can get from one?

The power supply on the SB-220 is only beefy enough to push one tube fully, and it's kinda low voltage for a 3-500Z also.  However!!!

If Heathkit had only used ONE 3-500Z, they would have had to include a serious cooling system, with a pressurized blower.  Back then, the cost of the extra socket and tube was a LOT less than putting in a real cooling system.

By using two tubes, running them both at much lower power than they're capable of, Heathkit got away with a cooling system that would otherwise be completely inadequate.

I was born a lot more than 50 years ago, and every year, it's better than the last.

AM
WA4DOU

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2004, 02:35:34 PM »

I was born in 1947. I'm glad for having been born in that era.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: