Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: B& W Model 376 coaxial switch  (Read 374 times)
KA9TZU

Ignore
« on: May 06, 2004, 08:32:39 PM »

Does anyone have the specs on this switch. It is one of the newer Protax series. Can it be used above 30mhz? I want to use it for my 2 and 6 meter antennas and to switch the radio(s) to a dummy load.
V73NS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2004, 12:20:27 AM »

It will be fine for that use.
If you can though, you are better off without it for VHF and UHF. It's more loss that you do not need. The connectors add loss, the impedance bump of the switch adds loss.

Ask yourself how often you really need to run it into a dummy load. If you can get by just swapping connectors when you need to change, you've saved money, saved a dB or so and be better off for it.

Same goes with watt meters. Install the antenna, check it, pull the test gear out when you know all is well and go direct.

Commercial repeaters, paging and cell systems don't have them in line unless there is a problem.
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2004, 02:18:28 AM »

The B&W Coax switch is one of my favorites for use
BELOW 30 Mhz only.  DO NOT use it on two meters!
I learned this the hard way. NO GOOD for VHF/UHF.
I have had good luck with the little MFJ  TWO way strip line coax switch on two meters, And they are fairly cheap. BUT the MFJ 4 way which looks similar has been nothing but bad news. They seem to fall apart.......  And worse.......
Alpha Delta (And maybe a few other brands) Make suitable stripline construction coax switches for VHF/UHF. (But the Alpha Delta switches are kind of expensive....)
K0IZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2004, 11:12:01 AM »

As an alternative, you might watch eBay for a Bird antenna switch.  These come up from time to time, I bought one, 6 position, for $43.

The reason I'm suggesting the Bird is that it is flat up to 2ghz !! and handles lots of KW.  New they are very expensive, thus the eBay suggestion.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: