Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Constitution allows antennas!  (Read 2677 times)
PE1RLN

Ignore
« on: June 28, 2001, 03:20:51 AM »

Hi there amateurs,

A while ago, when studying the Dutch constitution, I discovered that one is always allowed to practice his/her hobby when nobody else is bothered by it.

That means that you must be allowed to listen to radiosignals and that is only possible by ... an antenna!

In The Netherlands, you are allowed to construct an antenna on TOP of the highest point of the house with a maximum heighth of 3 meters above it.

Under this length, they can only ask you to remove it, if it isn't safe. Not if it isn't beautiful.

Another possibility is to build a mast that isn't fixed to the ground. In other words, if you make a concrete base ON the ground and place your mast on it, it is a mobile construction that is allowed in your back-garden.

So, there are a lot of ways to avoid "regulations".

A friend of mine lives in a 13-storage building and wanted to mount a satellite-dish to the ramp of his balcony. The landlord didn't allow any stuff to be mounted on the ramp, but when fixed with a few tie-wraps and a piece of carpet between the pole and the ramp, it was a legal construction and the landlord knew he couln't complain about it.

Maybe you can do something with these tips. I don't say it is the same in every country, but it works in Holland.

Don't cry; just keep up the HAM-spirit!

Nice DX an 73 from Thijs, PE1RLN, The Netherlands

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2001, 06:49:32 PM »

We have life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness
here in USA.  HAM radio makes me happy !

Our FCC now allows anyone to install sat dish
or outside antenna to receive tv signals.

Many rental or apartment viewers place a pipe or a
wood beam in a 5 gal. pail with concrete to keep it
steady and attach the dish or antenna to the beam/pipe.

Many others operate qrp and/or use attic stealth
antenna.

73 clay
NB6Z

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2001, 04:34:55 PM »

Wow...

If I moved to Holland some day, I would have to live in a windmill. ;-)
KF6PEQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2001, 06:15:50 PM »

You are lucky, since the topic came up let me share with you the rules where I live ... in Sunny P.C. California.

From the CC&Rs for Tract No 3772 in the city of Fresno, Ca.

Under subsection 4, part B, #3
"No shortwave aerial or antenna or support therefor shall be erected on any lot or building thereon."

then that state:

If the parties hereof, or any of them or their heirs, successors and/or assigns shall violate or attempt to violate any of the covenants herein, it shall be lawful for any person or persons owning land in said tract to prosecute any proceedings at law or in equity against the persons violationg or attempting to violate such covenants and either to prevent his or them from so doing and/or recover damages or other dues for such violations.

Needless to say, I'm a bit worried about putting up any external antenna.
W5LZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 03:27:31 PM »

... one good reason to read that contract before signing it.
Paul
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 11:54:36 AM »

Wow...
If I moved to Holland some day, I would have to live in a windmill. ;-)
Yeah, next to brothel and a "coffee shop" that legally sells
marijuana and hashish.
W6ONV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 04:06:12 PM »

Approach the HOA! My CC&R reads similar, although it specifically mentions "tower" I took it upon myself to look for a solution, rather than live the life of stealth. I drew up a proposal for an exemption to the CC&R, included images of what could be seen from the front of the house and I got signatures from my immediate neighbors. I then presented this material at a monthly meeting, where a discussion ensued for about 45 minutes between the board and myself. The came to an agreement to allow me to raise my antenna (6BTV originally). Since then (nearly 2.5 years ago) I have upgraded the vertical to a SteppIR BigIR and added a 5-band hex-beam to pursue my hobby. To date, no RFI complaints from anyone.

You are lucky, since the topic came up let me share with you the rules where I live ... in Sunny P.C. California.

From the CC&Rs for Tract No 3772 in the city of Fresno, Ca.

Under subsection 4, part B, #3
"No shortwave aerial or antenna or support therefor shall be erected on any lot or building thereon."

then that state:

If the parties hereof, or any of them or their heirs, successors and/or assigns shall violate or attempt to violate any of the covenants herein, it shall be lawful for any person or persons owning land in said tract to prosecute any proceedings at law or in equity against the persons violationg or attempting to violate such covenants and either to prevent his or them from so doing and/or recover damages or other dues for such violations.

Needless to say, I'm a bit worried about putting up any external antenna.

WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 08:34:52 AM »

If the Dutch constitution and legal system are like the US system one cannot simply read the constitution and say that this or that is allowed or not allowed. 200 years of legal precedent and interpretation by the courts are what has really set what the constitution says.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: