Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Now is Your Chance to Put Up a Stealthy Vertical  (Read 1418 times)
INITZERO

Ignore
« on: October 07, 2001, 06:33:12 PM »

With waves of patriotism sweeping the nation, many communities that once forbid
flag poles are now actually encouraging them or at least looking the other way. If you
live in such a community, there is no better time to bend or break the rules than now.

A 30-foot pole flying Old Glory today could be the start of something ham tomorrow.
In many neighborhoods, a flag pole will hear better than a short wire in the attic.

Sure, some will see this is rude given the events of late; abusing patriotism. They
can see it that way if they like. I, however, see this as an opportunity to kill two
birds with one stone.

Who knows... A couple years down the road after you've got your foot in the door
with the flag pole, you might branch out and hang a wire from it to your chimney
or maybe even set a small VHF/UHF beam at the top.

Matt (k4mls)
KB9YNB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2001, 05:05:45 PM »

Abusing patriotism?  I don't think so.  Exercising freedom, maybe!  CCR's and other restrictions exist under the guise of "protecting property values" but really exist to suppress freedom.  

The basic underlying assumption is that YOU aren't smart enough to protect the value of YOUR home.

Therefore, they'll do it for you, by taking more of YOUR money to ensure that you excersize only "acceptable freedom" in maintaining and improving your house.

Find out about patriotism and freedom.  Put a big, honkin', 100 foot flagpole right smack dab in the middle of your lawn.  

If anyone complains, tell them there's real estate for sale in Afghanistan, cheap.
KF7CG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2001, 11:53:29 AM »

Look Good at the CC&R Document

If it reads like the newer ones, forbearance of complaint does not grant acceptance.  Simply, if the flagpole has been up for 10 years and then somehow someone decides that because it hasn't been official approved or "heaven forbid" discovers that it is also an antenna it will have to come down and it might even cost you a lot assessment fine for you impudence.

The new legal language in the latest CC&R boiler plate specifically addresses lapses in enforcement and you agree that a lapse in enforcement and/or uneven enforcement doesn't void the restriction.  They now even specifically exempt the small satellite dish that are kept out of site to avoid any conflict with the current FCC stance on them.

I could go on but this particular discussion isn't the place.
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2001, 01:38:09 PM »

I transformed my Hustler 4BTV vertical into a flagpole at my former home, a condominium, in 1988.  I planted the mounting pole for the 4BTV in the ground late one night, buried a few radials and ran the coax to the shack.  The next day, I inserted the entire 4BTV into a length of PVC pipe that had an inside diameter that was just large enough to accept the vertical's traps.  (I had to remove the spoked capacitive hat from the antenna to accomplish this, but it still tuned fine with the auto tuner in the rig).  I spray painted the PVC pipe a nice bronze color and epoxied a child's rubber ball, spray painted bright gold, to the top. That evening, I added a pully and a white nylon cord to act as a laynard for the flag and set the whole works onto the 4BTV's ground mount.  Later, I planted some flowers around the base to hide the mounting plate and connections.  I worked my share of DX with that antenna.  You know, I never got around to buying a flag for the darn thing, but, it looked so nice the condo police never even inquired.  Today, however, I'm pretty sure I'd purchase the flag FIRST!  73, Terry, WØFM
KG4MWO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2001, 12:58:46 PM »

VOFM,  How do you like your Hustler 4BTV? Im considering one although I may go a 5BTV, Is there any difference between the two other than more bands. KG4MWO, Dave
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2001, 01:48:38 PM »

Hi Dave,  

In response to your question, my Hustler 4BTV "flagpole" worked quite well for my application. It even performed well before I added any buried radials to it, but I have very good soil conductivity.  In fact, I'm looking to put up a 6BTV, painted in camoflage colors, near the treeline in the back of my lot.  The 4,5 and 6BTV are all very similar except for the extra traps for the additional bands.  I think the one with 30 meters (6BTV) gets a bit shorter overall, and loses the capacitive hat.  That makes it a bit more stealthy as well.  Very nicely constructed antennas and mine worked great.  (Hint:  If you decided to paint the antenna, make sure you've done all your tuning FIRST!) 73,  Terry, WØFM
KG4MWO

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2001, 09:51:18 AM »

WOFM, Thanks, I ordered the 5, I plan on mounting it on a 20' mast next to my shack. I also have a 17' vertical 2m Ant mounted 15' away, do you think the two ants being so close will cause any problems?. also I know this isnt the transceiver forum but what do you think of the ICOM IC-718s. KG4MWO
WB9WHE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2001, 05:36:48 PM »

For your patriotic "flagg pole"antennas look at these flagg pole look alikes:

1) Shakespeare makes a line of white fiberglass marine SSB antennas with no coils. They range from 16-35 feet and are free standing. Trim them to your favorite bands or use with an manual or automatic antenna tuner.

2) Anttron and Solarcon make a 16 and 24 foot 10-12 meter antennas, but because of built in coils, have  limited bandwith;

W6SDI

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2002, 06:56:44 AM »

Hi Terry,

Good idea!  I have two 4BTV antennas that I used to operate phased, years ago.  I want to get at least one of them back on the air and think the "Flagpole" concept has a lot of merit.

I can't seem to find 2 inch thinwall PVC to use as a sheath.  I found a 20 foot stick of 2 inch Class 200 PVC at a local irrigation supply.  It is a bit thinner than Schedule 40 PVC.  Seems most places have discontinued carrying the really thinwall stuff.  

Class 200 PVC does not quite fit over the stainless steel clamps on the antenna either, similar to Schedule 40 PVC.  I may have to tune it and then take the clamps off and use sheet metal screws to hold the sections together.  Hate to do that!

How did you resolve the interference fit issue?

Bill  W6SDI
W6SDI

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2002, 12:36:17 AM »

Well,

Problem solved.  Found a supply yard that carried 20 foot sticks of class 125, 2 inch O.D. PVC irrigation pipe and the 4BTV antenna and stainless steel tubing clamps slide inside with no interference to the fit.  Forget anything heavier walled than class 125 unless you want to modify the clamps somehow ar remove them and sheet metal screw the pipe sections together.

Bill W6SDI
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: