Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rf Amplifiers  (Read 331 times)
WN1I

Ignore
« on: May 25, 2004, 12:06:31 PM »

Anyone still making any sort of RF solid state amps like the skywalker line in SC that is legal for USA hams to build? Ed Hammond at Cushcraft

edh@cushcraft.com
KA3NXN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2004, 12:58:44 PM »

I emailed Skywalker about 2 weeks ago and never got a response. I too am looking for an amplifier kit. I wanted one for 6 meters that would do 300+ watts.

KC5AJX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2004, 02:02:11 PM »

The Skywalker website is

http://users.aol.com/rfelectron/rfelect.htm

Acording to thier website the will only sell U.S. hams the cabinets mrters knobs and the manual for thier amps. You would have to get all the inside componets else where.

Another place to check on is Communiction Concepts.
Thier Website is

http://www.communication-concepts.com/default.htm

Rick
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2004, 05:51:41 PM »

AFAIK the Skywalker never was legal to build or sell. It was never type accepted.

Any amateur amplifier kit, parts kit, or even portions of a kit have been illegal to sell for the last 20 years without type acceptance to amateurs or anyone else. The exceptions are less than one amplifier per year or if the amp is incapable of operation or modification to operate below 144MHz.

It only takes a few hours of work to file for FCC TA. I don't know why anyone selling amps that meet FCC requiremenst would avoid filing if the amp really passed technical standards.

73 Tom
WIRELESS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2004, 11:21:57 PM »

I have made several amps from Communications Concepts and they work very well, but its a lot of work and there are many specialized parts to be found that make it a real choir building.

If I wanted a solid state amp I would pop for a Tokyo High power amp.  They are considered to be a little pricey but they are about 10 steps above Ameritron in quality.  You get what you pay for.  I have other THP stuff and its first class.
K0XU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2004, 08:02:54 PM »

Skywalker may soon be back in business if the FCC carries through with proposed changes to part 97. They are proposing to drop the type acceptance requirement for PA's as it never did any good anyway.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: