Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: antenna obstructions  (Read 287 times)
N5AUA

Ignore
« on: June 08, 2004, 10:40:42 PM »

I have been told not to place my antenna within 15ft
or so of any trees or buildings...antenna is a vertical 5btv hustler..will be ground mounted...
planning on passing code test next week...trying to get everything ready...

Thanks...
WB4QNG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2004, 10:53:34 PM »

While it would be great to be able to mount in the clear away from everthing it doesn't always work that way. I would suggest mounting it on the ground as for away as you can and running as many radials as you can. Saying this if the best you can do is mount it next to your house with a pipe in the ground do it. It will work not great but you should make some contacts and that is what it is all about. Good luck
Terry
WB4QNG
WM3X

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2004, 10:57:52 PM »

The ideal situation is to have any antenna high and in the clear.  In reality, a lot of antennas are low, in the trees, in the attic, run around the living room, etc.  These less than ideal situations won't bust big pile-ups or win major contests, but they will work.  Some of my most fun times hamming was designing and building indoor antennas in an apartment for my QRP rig.  I wasn't loud, but I made a lot of contacts, and none were with the neighbors' TV sets.  Good luck, and enjoy ham radio.

73 de WM3X, Bill
N2CJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2004, 09:42:30 AM »

My Hustler 6BTV vertical is roof mounted with radials. The antenna is about fifteen feet from a large maple tree up along side the house. The tree actually provides some nice camouflage and does not affect antenna performance in any measurable way. I worked 150 plus countries and about 1800 qsos on this antenna in about three months, and I am convinced that the 6BTV is about the best value out there. Don't worry about the trees.

Glenn
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2004, 12:40:27 AM »

my 5bvt is 10 feet from a stucco wall on one side and a tin shed at 20 feet on another.  I still made several thousand contacts on that puppy before I added any more antennas, and its ground mounted and No radials.  do the best you can. Then Enjoy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: