Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antenna height  (Read 649 times)
KD7PON

Ignore
« on: April 02, 2002, 01:56:40 PM »

Okay, i already know that higher is better, however...

If i was to put up a Diamond CP-6A vertical, what would be the minimum height I need to strive for to get good performance form 40m thru 10m?

I know I can get it at least 25-30ft up easily...

dan
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2002, 04:34:57 PM »

Any height will work for this trap-tuned 1/4-wave ground plane antenna.

Normally, "the higher, the better," but with this particular high-Q design, distance from the antenna to surrounding objects to all sides is actually far more critical.  Diamond recommends having nothing within 15 feet of the antenna, in any direction -- that would include walls, chimneys, other antennas, utility wiring, really anything.  And it is fully understandable why they say that.

That is the #1 criteria for success with the CP-6A.

Assuming you can get >15' clearance in all directions, then the next thing to strive for is the highest mounting location possible.

Remember, this is a very high-Q, narrowband tuned structure which requires critical adjustment.  If you install it up out of reach before adjusting it for resonance on each band, you'll have to take it down to make the adjustments.  Thus, it's always nice to install an antenna like this in such a way that you can reach it, or at least reach all the tuned radial elements which assemble at the bottom of the CP-6A.  Tuning this antenna is _extremely_ critical, and vital to its operational success.

WB2WIK/6
NN6EE-USA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2002, 05:21:25 PM »

Speaking of Antenna height WIK, here in Concord, Ca. our City has a "PLANNED COMMUNITY MENTALITY" in that as a favor to Ham Radio Operators wishing to put up a antenna WITHOUT A PERMIT we could do so but only up to a height of 30ft. which as we all know is can hardly be claimed by them as ACCOMODATING to we hams!!! A more favorable/logical height would be 60ft. Granted we can apply for a USE-PERMIT for something higher, but that is no guarantee that it would be granted!!!  And as far as I know NO HAM WHO HAS APPLIED for such a permit has ever been granted ONE either earlier or even up until now!!!  So much for FAIRNESS!!!

Jim/nn6ee
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: