Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Non-Switching Power Supply Reccomendation  (Read 2889 times)
KD7ZVL

Ignore
« on: June 14, 2004, 09:54:50 AM »

Does anyone have a recommendation for a non-switching 35 amp power supply (power supply with a transformer).  I want a NON-SWITCHING SUPPLY.
W8VVE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2004, 09:57:48 AM »

One word....ASTRON!  I would recommend the RS35A or, if you want meters, the RS35M...period...end of sentence!  Sam W8VVE
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2004, 10:01:17 AM »

If you're using it to power your radio, and you can't find a factory unit, then Sam is correct.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2004, 10:01:46 AM »

If you're using it to power your radio, and you can't find a factory unit, then Sam is correct.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2004, 10:08:44 AM »

Granted that Astron is the most widely accepted and used power supply, but I've had good luck with a Pyramid unit I purchased used.  The only bad feature about the Pyramid that I can see is the front mounted connections for the 13.8 volt output.  The one I have works very well powering my shack.  Pyramid also makes the supplies with and without meters.  Good luck with the supply you finally decide on!
KD7ZVL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2004, 10:18:29 AM »

The Astron is NOT a NON-Switching power supply.
OBSERVER11

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2004, 10:24:12 AM »

ASTRON!

I have been using an Astron 35 amp supply for years. I modified it to float a bank of batteries for power fail protection. The mod is at www.repeater-builders.com

Unless Pyramid has made serious changes in design control, there will never be on in my shack! I can cannot count the number if times the regulation failed and sent "B++" to the load... Usually this would let the smoke out of anything connected.
OBSERVER11

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2004, 10:25:30 AM »

the RS35A/M is a LINEAR supply, not a SWITCHING supply.
KD7ZVL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2004, 10:29:02 AM »

I currently own an Astron 35A supply, but it is creating distortion on my audio.  If I put a BIG capacitor across the 12 volt output of it, it cuts back the distortion dramatically, but doesn't totally eliminate it.  I have been told by numerous hams that it is my power supply, and to get another one that is non-switching.

Bill
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2004, 10:30:38 AM »

KD7ZVL said "The Astron is NOT a NON-Switching power supply."

The Astron RS-35 and 35M are INDEED non-switching 35 amp supplies.  If you think otherwise, you either don't undertand what a switching supply is, or you're confusing it with another of their supplies - they make both linear and switching supplies in that current range.  
W2AEW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2004, 10:33:16 AM »

Astron makes both types.  The RS-series are linear, non-switching types.  The SS-type are the switchers.

The RS-35A or M are rated at 25A continuous, 35A intermittent, and are linear (non-switching) supplies.

If you really need 35A continuous with a non-switcher, then you should look at the RS-50A or RS-50M which is rated at 37A continuous, 50A intermittent.

------------------------------------------------------
My YouTube channel...
...ham radio, basic electronics tutorials, etc.
http://www.youtube.com/w2aew
KD5JFT

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2004, 10:33:26 AM »

I have a Atsron RS-70M.  It is not a switching supply.  It is HEAVY!!  Go to www.astroncorp.com and look at their selection.  The advantage of a switching supply is the weight savings.  I have a switching 20A supply that only weighs a couple of pounds.  The Astron weighs about 50lbs.  An Astron RS-35 (M w/meters) will weigh about 27lbs.  

Just out of curiosity, why can you not use a switching supply?

Craig
KD5JFT
CROOKIE

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2004, 10:38:27 AM »

Believe the SS- and SRM- Astron models are switchers, but *not* the RS- & RM- models.

See: http://www.astroncorp.com/linear.shtml
AC5E

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2004, 10:49:39 AM »

William, it sounds as if you have a regulation problem in the R series "linear" Astron supply you have. The "big" cap across the output will help smooth out variations in voltage with load but won't completely eliminate the problem.

Having tried everything currently on the market I would strongly suggest you obtain another Astron,
have the one you have repaired and have a spare. If you are absolutely determined to obtain something other than an Astron - I have had almost as good luck with Lambda. But they are pricey.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E
CROOKIE

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2004, 11:05:44 AM »

Believe the SS- and SRM- Astron models are switchers, but *not* the RS- & RM- models.

See: http://www.astroncorp.com/linear.shtml
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: