Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: quad grounding  (Read 216 times)
KD5BOSS

Ignore
« on: June 29, 2004, 11:41:47 AM »

I recently modified a signal eng beam 4 element quad to a (4 element 2 band 20/15 meter) my question is should this antenna be grounded to the tower as well as the tower to the ground via a grounding rod. By the way the call is KD5ZOV.
KT8K

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2004, 02:24:14 PM »

I think the simple answer is "yes", for lightning protection.  

The quad is a balanced antenna and doesn't need a ground plane to work well, but the ground is needed for static dissipation (may reduce static noise a bit) and lightning protection.  Check out the polyphaser web site.  They have an excellent treatise on grounding for lightning protection.

Good reception from KT8K - Tim
KC8VWM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2004, 02:44:32 PM »

>>> my question is should this antenna be grounded to the tower as well as the tower to the ground via a grounding rod.<<<

Answer:

Can you ever have enough ground protection?

Tip: Go visit a cell phone tower site and observe how it is grounded.

Pay particular attention to the ground cable that runs from the cell tower antenna directly down the side of the tower and then connects directly to the ground rod.

Charles - KC8VWM
NU7J

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2004, 05:17:29 PM »

I assume your quad spreaders are made out of an insulating material such as fiberglass.  So obviously grounding the antenna structure itself is not helpful.  Adding a lightning arrester in the coax line at the base of the tower, and grounded to the tower/ground would be a good idea, same goes for any other coaxes coming from your tower.

Tom, NU7J
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: