Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Communications Preparation for Terrorists attacks  (Read 1123 times)
KG6HUF

Ignore
« on: June 24, 2004, 04:29:19 PM »

It seems like the whole world might be going belly up in the next year or so with the possibility of war and terrorists attacks. Has anyone been preparing for communications more than normal? example-Batteries in the shack, communications practices, who your going to contact if an emergency happens such as other hams in the family or fellow hams.
Is your local club going to go the the past field day site, or a local high school in case of an emergency? Who can provide generators and gasoline?
I know this is the purpose of Field Day, to practice for an emergency, but I have noticed people and clubs not taking it too seriously. It seems that people treat it like it's a big QSO party. What do you think?
OBSERVER11

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2004, 04:51:02 PM »

well, my station is 100% battery backup, with solar and generator rechargers.

I have canned food stocks to last 30 days, dry to last 45.

I have 45 days of water.

Not counting the extra cases of 9mm, 5.56, 7.62x39.

W2EH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2004, 04:51:42 PM »

I think preparation could very well be in progress,
 but in a discreet manor.  It doesn't always pay to advertise!.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2004, 05:10:01 PM »

As a child of the 60's  ( born in 1948) I went through all of this crap once before, remember Duck  and Cover taught in the schools.  I have lived on or near military bases all my life and have known about things that go boom in the night  all of my life.  

I made it home from Viet Nam, so I figure everything since 1970 is all freebies any ways.  There is always a threat, there is always some one with a bigger gun. There is always some one shooting at us.

I don't make my life miserable by woring about it.  Set your self up to be comfortable for a couple of days or a week, so in case of an earthquake, flood , or tornado, you can take care of yourself and not be a burden on the rest of your comunity.

Or hope the bomb hits on your house so you don't have to worry about it.  As an individual, you can only help yourself and those close to you.  

I do have a couple deep cycle batteries, some solar panels and such. I just don't plan on using them unless necessary. Do I worry about it, no, worry doesn't accomplish a thing.  Remember the two best movies,  DR. NO  and The Day After....
KG6HUF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2004, 05:26:02 PM »

I remember when the SanDiego wildfires happened a while back and thats the time when I wish I had power for my radios the most. All our power was out and I wish i could find some way to get power for my radios so I could find out whats going on in the fire. After the fire, I realized how unpreparred I was for such a disaster and my radio skills were useless. I recently purchased a large sized car battery that I keep charged in the garage incase I have to use it. I dont have any solar panels to keep it charged, but it would last a while. If I could, I would keep it in my room, but my family thinks it will leak so I really cant.
The thing I am really trying to imply, is that you really dont think you will need to be ready for such a disaster until it happens. It's just a thing I think most Amateur radio operators should practice since thats a good reason why the FCC lets us keep our privilages.
WB4QNG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2004, 08:58:40 PM »

I beleive you should be prepared but don't go overboard with it. With most people they are at home about 60% of the time anyway, so there is a 40% chance that you won't be near where you are prepared. I do have a battery charged up. Enough food for about 3 days and a Kerosene Heater with enough fuel for a couple of days. I think most people are more prepared that what they think if they just use what they have. Most everyone has a great source of power in their driveway. Car batteries and the car will charge them up. Everyone has a 30 to 50 gallon water reserve in your hot water heater. Actually in my experience the best piece of ham equipment you can have is an HT with an extra set of batteries. I think most communications needs you will have is local. If you really want to be prepared make sure you have an adapter so you can hook it up to your outside antenna and get  one of those car jumper batteries. Running one watt with your HT thoses things should keep you powered up for days.
Like I said we all should be prepared to an extent not so much for terrorist but just for the ordinary storms. Like the other guy said I am still practicing my duck and cover. Don't forget to make sure you keep your eyes covered the flash from the bomb will blind you. Right if your close enough for the flash to blind you your best friend might be the 38 with one bullet for your head to get it overwith in a hurry.
Terry
WB4QNG
W5WJP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2004, 03:17:03 AM »

My station is totally battery power with enough capacity to last a week or more (1400 Ah), not because of terrorists but in Texas we do have some nasty storms and an occassional tornado.

I survived Nam and a couple of other places......if they want to try now, big deal. So far I have been a better shot and can still lay them down pretty good.

PS....dont waste time with 9mm or 5.56mm or 7.62x39mm   ....  use a 12ga with #4 buckshot, its like grenades--close counts.
JOEMAMMA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2004, 04:00:03 AM »

I've tied my HT together with a GPS receiver to broadcast my last known position. It is activated either manually or with a mercury tilt switch and a 15 second timer in case my body goes horizontal for that length of time. This whole contraption is then placed in a waterproof bag and taped to my body, then duplicated for redundancy.

I'm now ready in case I slip and fall in the shower, have a heart attack, or get hit by a bus/car- which statistically has a greater chance of happening to you than being involved in a terrorist attack.

Bottom line is this;
Relax, don't let this small group of terrorist bastards take up so much time and space in your head. If you do, they win.
W7WIK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2004, 04:21:20 AM »

You're more likely to get mugged... sounds pretty alarmist to me.

Something to think about:

Many, many more people die from drunk driving than terrorist attacks.  Thousands of Americans die because of inadequate healthcare.  Deaths from terrorist attacks are miniscule compared to this.

What's the current administration doing about drunk drivers and healthcare?  Certainly not spending billions like in the overseas adventure that's going on now.

Why are Americans so afraid?

Marco, AA5ET
KC8VWM

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2004, 09:55:08 AM »

>>> I survived Nam and a couple of other places......<<<

Ah, what's a little terrorism when compared to your ex wife...

KT8K

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2004, 10:26:06 AM »

Thanks to the ratings-driven media and greedy, power-hungry right wing politicians, the terrorists win (evidenced by this item and attached comments).  
I will continue to work against the greedy types and keep my Field Day gear in reasonable shape (retested annually).  Other than that, worrying about terrorism is a waste of time, and IS success for the terrorists.
Just my .02 ...
KC2IXE

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2004, 11:28:07 AM »

I have a few hundred A/h of batteries, 3+ days water supply, food for a week, etc - not because of terrorists - because of storms.  I also have a "few" VHF/UHF setups - Home APRS, Home UHF and VHF, Truck Dual Band, Truck APRS, plus a "crash kit" with a VHF and UHF radio (yes, most of the setups are single band rigs - ex-commercial stuff), plus my HF stuff (1/2 of the batteries are in portable cases BTW) - this does NOT count HTs!!

Working on a portable repeater setup

Then again, as an ARES EC in an area that does NOT use RACES, but calls ARES, I'm expected to be a bit better preped than most

Right now, a good percentage of the gear is in the back of the pickup, ready to head out for field day
KD5JFT

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2004, 03:36:45 PM »

When Y2K was coming up, people used to ask me (a lot!!) about what I was doing to be prepared.  I guess they thought that I knew everything.  I just told people that I had a good stock of ammo, when they asked if I collected anything else; I told them I was also collecting the addresses of people that were stocking up on the expensive survialist items.

Really, what you need is just a small amount of items.  Your budget and storage space will determine the amount of supplies.
1.  Water (figure about 1 gallon per person per day)
2.  Medicines/First Aid kit
3.  Food
Go to the FEMA or Red Cross websites and look at the information they have posted.

Due to the weather around my parts (tornado alley), I have enough battery power to run my communications gear (TV/Radio/Ham/Commercial Radio) for about a week if used sparingly.

Email me at "callsign"@cox.net if you want some more information.

N7SOC

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2004, 04:02:31 PM »

I have no doubt that the terrorists are here already but they don't seem to be out there winning Medals of Valor very much...i guess i am prepared...On the boat, i have 1000+ amp hours of battery power, generators, an inverter & 500 gallons of diesel.  I'll just sit in the middle of the sound and go fishing....frankly, i wish they would come to seattle...we have so many commie liberal non-believers here that have never believed we lost 3000 people a while ago..( sorry about the politics)(sort of)....73, ski n7s0c
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2004, 09:20:59 PM »

Said before:

"Bottom line is this; Relax, don't let this small group of terrorist bastards take up so much time and space in your head. If you do, they win."

Good, sound advice.  If it happens, there ain't nothing you're gonna be able to do about it.  And if it happens so close to you that you'll need back-up power to run your rigs, you're gonna have things other than ham radio on your mind, things like SURVIVAL.  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: