Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ts 520 receiver hangs up  (Read 319 times)
KI8DJ

Ignore
« on: July 05, 2004, 02:59:51 PM »

I have a very nice Kenwood ts 520 s with a problem.The transceiver does not pop quickly back into receive after a long winded transmission. I am reffering to phone by the way.I assume the problem is a relay.Can the relay be cleaned? Are replacements available and how expensive are they? Do they just push on or are they soldered in. The rig has the 500hz cw filter installed and if fixing it is too big a deal I would be interested in a trade for a solid state rig in good working condition,I could include a jps nir 10 with manual to sweeten the deal. Thanks in advance to all who respond. Gary
AB8SG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2004, 04:57:32 PM »

There are 2 relays in the 520. Post to TS-520_820_530_830@yahoogroups.com, and Bill can probably point you in the right direction as far as cleaning or replacement is concerned.
The 520 is a great rig, don't give up on it so easily.
W5HTW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2004, 05:29:08 PM »

Well, doggone it, don't BE so long-winded!  Ha!  You knew that was coming, didn't you?

The relay is the most likely cause.  An additional cause, I found in my 520 (not the S model) is with the AGC.  To see if it is the relay or the AGC, do this:

Set your RF gain lower, so you don't blast your room!

Then operate for a while with the AGC turned off.  You will have to ride the RF gain control on signals, but you won't have to do this for long to determine the cause of your problem.  If recovery is normal every time, the AGC switch may need cleaning (that resolved my problme) or the AGC circuit may be going bad.  Dig out your manual and see.

On mine, the AGC switch is just plain old wearing out.  If it starts with that slow-recovery again, I just flip the switch several times and it will 'fix itself' for a while.  

If on the other hand, the rig still does not recover from transmit quickly, it is probably the T-R relay.  In most instances, this is the higher probability.

Ed
X-WB1AUW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2004, 07:06:23 PM »

Many hams don't know what "ride the RF gain" means Ed.

Bob
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: