Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which do you think has best front end?  (Read 1472 times)
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2004, 03:50:59 PM »

I have the TS 2000 as # 2 for a couple of reasons. I like it. I have  or have had many others and some are better here or there, but here is the idea.

The ts 2000 does am, fm, cw,  ssb, rtty, psk31. fm repeater, satalites, cross banding etc. on 160 meters throught 10 meters, 6 meters, 2 meters and 440 mhz,  pretty coose to dc to daylite. ( missing 220 mhz  and it  has 1.2 gig availabe as an option.)

the ic 746 does 160 to 10 + 6m + 2 meters, all mode.

the ic 756 has 160 - 10 and 6m only all mode,

( I use these 3 in my shack.)

in my truck I have a ft 847 which is almost identicle to the ts 2000 but no auto tune and no vox, but a good rig.

in my car I have a ft 857d  which is all mode all band 160-10 +6m +2m +440mhz, and extremely small.  I like its operating ability, but I don't find the small switches and knobs easy for my hand, but it is much better than the ic 706 or the dx 70h which I bought and promptly sold.  (I don't like a radio I need to use the manual for to figure out how to turn it on)

I have had lots of radios from a siltronix, and ft 101's ( 4 of those) heath kits....lots of those.. and a bucket full of gear over the years.  I am pretty happy with what I have now.  if they would have put in 2m and 440 on the new ic 7800 I would buy that.  It is a nice rig, set up well and pretty easy to use.  It makes sense when you sit down at it. big radio with big knobs .  

well there ya go your milage may vary.

The best way to get a better signal is to use a better antenna, put more into a higher longer better antenna and it makes a crystal set sound good.

tom N6AJR  ( All Junk Radio)
N8FVJ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2004, 10:12:04 PM »

Many good radios over the years. View my articles on this site regarding transceivers. Usually in Europe the blocking dynamic range front-end performance is most important.

A simple HF transceiver that performed well was a Ten Tec Omni V. With all filters, it was a hot performer in the very noisy southern states. I believe it was better than the TS-950SD I owned when in the south.

Up here in northern MI our 75 meter band noise in the summer is more quiet than the 75 meter winter band noise in the south. So, being in MI, I 'get by' with a FT-100D performing all band & all mode operation. I purchased the last FT-100D manufacturing lot as being most reliable. Stay away from early models.
WA2JJH

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2004, 09:39:48 PM »

I am also a big fan of high level mixing.

My list
#1 my friends Watkins-Johnson
My R7A, the pre-amp is AWAYS off! The pre-amp makes it sound more like the rigs today!

My TR-7 with many mods. I did not do the minicircuits
mixer replacement of the Vari-L mixer.

I tried the Orien. Did not do the 30 day trail. I know I would have bought it. Wish I could have had it side to side with the R-7A!

My HARRIS 1446U Great front end and super IF!
My HARRIS RF-3200 no mods YET! also pre-ampless-high level mixing.

TS-950

Wish the R-7A had the PBT of the TS-850's VBT, however we are only talking front ends.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: