Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TH-D7A(G)  (Read 231 times)
KD5WUV

Ignore
« on: July 15, 2004, 11:48:46 PM »

I have dropped my TH-D7A(G) several times, however it supposedly is rated to military specs... i know you aren't supposed to drop it but i did.

The VHF side transmits about 5 - 10 feet and then dies.  I'm full quieting to my friend sitting next to me. But, I can't hit our 425' repeater 200 feet away from me. How sad

On the other hadn the UHF side works perfectly.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2004, 01:16:15 AM »

send it to the factory for repair..  ain't much inside we can work onb in a little rig like that..
AK7P

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2004, 05:33:05 AM »

Drop it again
N6KEK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2004, 07:35:54 AM »

Sound like solder joint at antenna connection is fractured.
KT8K

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2004, 12:46:50 PM »

It's probably deeper than the antenna connection, since that would give you UHF problems, too.  I'd send it off to a recommended service house.
Good luck & 73 de kt8k - Tim
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2004, 01:21:48 PM »

It may not be any deeper than the antenna connection.  Before you send out the radio, check that connection--UHF really doesn't need the dummy load the rubber duck antenna really is.
KD5WUV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2004, 01:27:48 PM »

For some more info, actually all the antennas that we have been using to test the radio have been dropped on. I'm actually thinking about going stubby so that if I do drop the radio there is nothing to break.  The antennas have all been dropped so that it has been bent right at the antenna load point.  
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2004, 03:10:25 PM »

<<  I'm actually thinking about going stubby so that if I do drop the radio there is nothing to break.>>

So you are going from an already-inefficient runbber duck antenna to an even smaller one? The shorties are nicknamed dummy loads for a reason - they are pretty useless more than a couple of miles away from the average repeater.

With all due respect, you should probably concentrate more on learning how not to drop your radio. Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: