The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenworth T-600 set-up and questions (dual band)  (Read 664 times)
OO1TRK

Ignore
« on: July 17, 2004, 04:07:10 AM »

Greetings all

equip.  Radio: Ft-7800r  Ant: Diamond SG7900g

I am mounting my FT-7800r in my 2004 Kenworth T-600... I am looking at mounting the ant to my diamond plate "Aluminum" Headache rack. Top shelf of my Headache rack is 10" deep x 6' wide. I will need to run approx 35' of Coax down from the rack, under the sleeper and cab and come up through the firewall into the dash..  I didn't get a mount with the Antenna, because I am looking for the best way to set-up everything.. But this weekend will be the big weekend to get everything setup..
My Headache is very well grounded, as it is mounted direct to the frame, plus has an 10ga ground wire also from the Headache rack to the frame..

Now to the possible problems..

On my Headache rack I have 2-strobes (for oversize freight hauling) this Ant will be in-between both.. Plus about 20 LED lights that run along the top lip of the Headache rack...

I cannot mount anything to the sleeper or body, My sleeper and cab are all Fiberglass.

Any suggestions are appreciated..

Ken
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2004, 08:56:10 AM »

I think you'd be better off mounting the antenna on the top of the truck cab even if it is fiberglass. Larsen and others sell antennas which don't require a groundplane to work properly (loaded half wave). That said, a lot on OTR drivers use the mirror mounts, but unless you use the aforementioned antenna type, they don't work too well.

If you plan on using HF, there are a lot of alternatives. I can point you to a few amateurs who do use HF and they can give you a host of ideas.

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

K6CS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2004, 10:13:09 AM »

Ken, send me your email address & I will send you a pic of the mounting system I made for my T-600. Check the photo out at QRZ.COM. I will be mounting an ATAS 120 soon.  73, Charlie  KE6OUD
OO1TRK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2004, 10:07:46 PM »

Greetings..

Spent the morning at HRO in Delaware, found that if I took the turnpike and drove like everyone else, I can get to HRO buy what I need and get back home in 3-hours...  Wasn't all that bad, I picked their brains to see what they suggested..

"KØBG
I think you'd be better off mounting the antenna on the top of the truck cab even if it is fiberglass. Larsen and others sell antennas which don't require a groundplane to work properly (loaded half wave). That said, a lot on OTR drivers use the mirror mounts, but unless you use the aforementioned antenna type, they don't work too well"

I cannot mount to roof, I do not want to drill any holes in sleeper, cab has a sunroof and is limited, sleeper has a moon roof and is limited.. Custom sleeper.  Mirror mount brackets do not fit T-600 mirrors without some modifications, left mirror has CB antenna, right mirror has XM antenna.. Last place to start sticking more antennas was Headache rack.. With the Diamond sg7900, HRO devised a pretty cool way to make it work.. Just ran wires and coax through firewall today. I also am modding LED light setup on trailer, so I had to run a lot of other wires besides Coax.

"KE6OUD
Ken, send me your email address & I will send you a pic of the mounting system I made for my T-600. Check the photo out at QRZ.COM. I will be mounting an ATAS 120 soon. 73, Charlie KE6OUD"

Looked at the big truck...  Nice, it looks like you mounted it to where my XM antenna mount is.. Email is on its way..  Thanks Charlie..

Thanks KE6OUD and KØBG, I very much appreciate the help and ideas..

Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: