Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Water everywhere  (Read 401 times)
W7KPQ

Ignore
« on: July 17, 2004, 06:52:07 PM »

Here's one I can't figure out.  I installed a new antenna; specifically a High Sierra Eldorado continuous coverage antenna (a screw driver antenna).  When I operate my rig it turns on one of my water valves in the yard causing about 12 water heads to spray water.  I have five water valves.  It only happens to one of the valves.  The other four are unaffected.  I also have a Hustler 4BTV antenna.  The Hustler doesn't cause this problem.  The High Sierra is mounted on the roof far away from any water sprinkler wiring.  So what's up?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.
KZ1X

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2004, 08:10:02 PM »

What kind of system controls the valves?  How do the valves work (solenoid, etc.)?
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2004, 08:11:39 PM »

More than likely the valve itself is at fault--the others aren't affected.  Could be an open cap in the power circuit to the valve.  The fix?  Replace the valve or its controller.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2004, 10:47:36 PM »

I have the same thing, on 12 or 17 with over 400 watts I get into my sprinklers.. I just love with it.. when it breaks I will fix it.. its been 3 years so far, and the flowers look great
X-WB1AUW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2004, 02:49:54 AM »

The High Sierra is pretty dry.  So, your sprinklers are trying to compensate for it; watering the ground will improve the electrical conductivity and get better performance for your vert.
Have FUN
Bob
K4KK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2004, 05:29:46 AM »

Some folks pay a lot of money for a remote controlled sprinkler system.  Yours was a free accessory with your antenna.  Why are you complaining?

Look at the controller for the impacted section of sprinklers.  There is probably a bypass capacitor that has failed.  If not, add one.
KG6AMW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2004, 10:14:43 AM »

Sounds like the solenoid which turns the valves on you water system runs on 12 volts (+/-) and the wires running to the solenoid/valves act as an antenna. Dig up a portion of the wire just before it reaches the valve and put a ferrite clamp there.

KG6AMW  
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2004, 10:23:54 AM »

I'd look at the controller (probably in the house or garage). I seriously doubt that you are coupling enough RF energy into the underground wires to operate the solenoid directly.
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2004, 03:06:55 PM »

Consider what the inductance of a solenoid would be at radio frequencies.  How much power would it take to operate a solenoid?  It only takes a small amount of signal on a chip to cause the outputs to go awry.  I have had various devices that would go ape with a couple of watts of nearby rf.  A couple of .01 ceramic capacitors cured the problem more often than not.
Allen
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: