Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: transciever w/cb  (Read 1293 times)
FJPOP

Ignore
« on: July 21, 2004, 10:45:52 PM »

I was wondering if there's a mutltiband handheld transciever that also transmits on CB radio freq?
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2004, 10:50:17 PM »

It would be illegal as CB garbage, I mean radios,  is limited to type accepted, 4 watt max  and who would actually want one, an illegal cb'er Huh or a ham who couldn't afford a 40 channel cb?? I think not.  but basically it is illegal according to FCC
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2004, 10:51:33 PM »

I looked up FJPOP on eham and he is yet another mystery man, no call no name no info.. HMMMMMM I wonder??
FJPOP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2004, 11:12:14 PM »

I am no mystery man , mr paraniod

I don't much about this  it just seemed to me that a transciever w/cb tx capabilties would be cool.
Is that an illegal setup?
I have seen many handheld 5w transcievers--are thoseillegal?
X-WB1AUW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2004, 11:17:41 PM »

Nope.
But you could certainly buy A CB HT, tape an FRS-GMRS HT to it, and be off and running.

Bob
FJPOP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2004, 11:19:42 PM »

Bob--

Should I use duct tape, or velcro to stick the radio together?

Mr X
K0RFD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2004, 11:27:19 PM »

FJPOP wrote:
>I have seen many handheld 5w transcievers--are
>thoseillegal?

Depends.  I have a handheld transceiver that transmits 5 watts on 2 meters.  It's not illegal.  At least not with a license.

There are no transceivers that are legal out of the box for transmission on ham bands AND CB both.  The FCC won't certify such "dual use" equipment.

However, some amateur handheld transceivers can be modified for use on CB.  They can't be SOLD that way, but there is one situation in which they are actually legal to be used there -- in a "life or property" emergency.  In which case an amateur may transmit on any frequency at any power level.

So get your Ham ticket.  Learn the rules.  Know when it is and isn't legal to use your radio.  You'll be way ahead of where you are at the moment.

W7DJM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2004, 11:28:55 PM »

""""However, some amateur handheld transceivers can be modified for use on CB."""

There is??  Like what?
FJPOP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2004, 11:55:00 PM »

Ok well thanks for your help. I just wanted to know if I could buy something like that and it look like its not doable
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2004, 12:31:17 PM »

I suppose you could find an old crystal controlled 3 or 5 channel cb radio and get some 10 meter rocks for it from JAN xtals  but again, why???
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2004, 12:50:02 PM »

Handheld 5W CB transceivers are perfectly legal without a license, and 5W amateur band handhelds are perfectly legal with a license.  Since the technologies involved in generating the signals are drastically different (amateur HTs are almost all "FM," while CB is all AM or SSB, and no other modes are allowed), it's much cheaper to make these in two separate pieces of equipment than it would be to try to do it all-in-one.

I like the duct tape idea, although Velcro might be better in some applications.

WB2WIK/6

N3NDW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2004, 12:58:37 PM »

K0RDF wrote: The FCC won't certify such "dual use" equipment.
I think they would, and did.
Yaesu makes an HT with 2 meter and Air Band xmit.
You guys need to stop and take a breath. Why not just answer the question if you have the answer, and leave all the "I'm better than you" BS out.
You may not agree that a 2 meter radio with cb in it makes much sense to you, it may make sense to othere people.
I travel a lot, and having a 10 meter radio that works cb, makes sense to me. One less radio in the truck.
Most CB'ers are perfectly fine folks, and some are jerks. It sounds like discribing some of the operators on 40 and 80 meters.
Just keep saying to your self: "ITS ONLY A FORUM, ITS ONLY A FORUM".
K0IPG

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2004, 02:58:14 PM »

Although a 10m radio that covers the CB band might elminate one extra radio in the truck, I'd suggest that the more pressing concern would be to make sure the power level gets adjusted to the correct setting when switching between bands.

Someone else suggested that there are HT's that can be modified to cover the CB band (for use only in emergencies, presumably), but I believe they are misinformed about this. Remember, folks, just because the display reads 27.xxxx and the red light comes on, doesn't mean you're on the CB band. As I recall, the CB band uses AM, whereas I don't believe there are any commonly/commerically/realistically available HT's that transmit AM (aside from the Yaesu airband "spirit" rig, but that's a whole different story).
X-WB1AUW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2004, 05:56:29 PM »

Use duct tape.  It is easier to make Xs with it.
Bob
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2004, 07:25:20 PM »

Buy a Maxon CB walkie-talkie and a Uniden portable scanner.  You'll have all you need.  Then just clip one on one side of your belt, one on the other, and wait for them to pull your pants down!  ;-)
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: