Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: transciever w/cb  (Read 1044 times)
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2004, 07:29:57 PM »

BTW, it is not legal to make or possess a radio operable on both the 11 meter band (CB) and the 10 meter band (ham).

CB radios need type-acceptance while the regulations covering ham transceivers are more leinient, and also, they're not legal because Riley says so.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2004, 08:15:55 PM »

BTW, it is not legal to make or possess a radio operable on both the 11 meter band (CB) and the 10 meter band (ham).
-----------------------------------
Why not?  The radio must be certified for use on CB but it is okay to use a certified radio on the ham bands. With today's technology (processors) it is quite possible to make a radio that is restricted to AM and SSB at 5W when on the 11 meter band and can run more power and other modes when on the ham bands.

There are several HF, VHF, and UHF radios certified for use on commercial bands that will also transmit on the ham bands.

I don't think the issue is legality or technology limitations, it's simply that the mfgs do not think that there is sufficient market for such a radio.
K0IPG

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2004, 10:33:12 PM »

Well, I suppose if you wanted to modify a type-accepted CB rig to transmit on 10m, that'd be perfectly legal. The question though, of course, is: Why would you want to?
KE4MOB

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2004, 11:30:57 PM »

-----------------------------------
Why not?

*because the FCC says so*:

"dual use CB and amateur radios of the kind at issue here may not be certificated under the Commission's rules. Section 95.655(a) of the Rules5 states ``....([CB] Transmitters with frequency capability for the Amateur Radio Services....will not be certificated).'' See also FCC 88-256, 1988 WL488084 (August 17, 1988). This clarification was added to explicitly foreclose the possibility of certification of dual use CB and amateur radios, see id., and thereby deter use by CB operators of frequencies allocated for amateur radio use."

So you can't have CB channels built into a Ham Radio...well, you could, but the radio wouldn't be legal to use on CB since it can't be certificated.  Nor would it be legal to sell, either.
KE4MOB

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2004, 11:44:54 PM »

"Well, I suppose if you wanted to modify a type-accepted CB rig to transmit on 10m, that'd be perfectly legal."

Yep, not a problem *as long as the radio is only allowed to transmit on 10 meters*.  But once modified, the certification for CB is null and void, therefore making the transmitter illegal for use as a CB.

((Jeez, can you tell my power supply is down and I can't get on the radio??))
K4CMD

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2004, 11:51:44 AM »

How 'bout a mod'ed FT-1000MP Mark-V Field with an 80-pound deep-cycle marine battery duct taped under it and 10 and 11-meter mag mounts stuck on top? You'll need big hands and some good arm muscles, and keep in mind you'll still need a hand free for PTT (unless you go VOX with a headset, good buddy)!
AE1X

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2004, 06:18:31 AM »

Mr. X,

Thank you for asking the question. The only dum question is the question you do not ask.

I agree, these radioes are illegal. There have been a number of cases where these radioes have been confiscated in raids by FCC in recent times.

I agree they are mostly junk put on the market to attract truckers that use amateur frequencies illegally.

I had an FT101B which had one (1) single brown wire out of all the other wiring which was white, that once removed permitted this radio to operate on frequencies allocated the CRS. It generated about 80 watts on AM. The actual modulation was injected carrier SSB because it was generated by unbalancing the balanced modulator, not too efficient. It worked and could be used in an emergency, as note previously, when a life or property is in the balance.

I would be inclined to suggest that you look into becoming a amateur. You would find that is a whole world of really cool technology to sample and experience. I hope find your way into our ranks and let some really good people guide you through the initial experience.

Ken
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: