Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RadioShack HTX-252 problems  (Read 249 times)
KC0LCS

Ignore
« on: March 26, 2004, 04:12:16 PM »

Okay. I have a RadioShack HTX-252, given to me for my birthday. The radio was fine, although it had no power cord so I had to solder a cable onto it. Anyway, it's got 2 problems.
The first problem; if I haven't used it for a week or so, turn it on, and hit the PTT button, all the LCD segments light up! No transmitting; all of the LCD segments light up. I have to reset the radio about 3 times, and FINALLY it will transmit. What's the problem there?
The second problem; last night I was listening to a repeater, and when I turned up the volume a little bit the radio started squealing. I could hear the repeater, but this squealing was mixed in. I turned to a local weather station, and the sam thing happened. If I had the squelch muted, it wasn't so bad. But, when I had the squelch unmuted, it was squealing pretty bad.
Help needed!!! Can anyone tell me what's wrong??
Nathan, KCØLCS
N5CEL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2004, 05:33:46 PM »

What is your power source?   I have 2 of those radios, one in each mobile & used to run one as a base.  They do require alot of amps to operate correctly.

Also, I use noise filters (20 amp rating) from Radio Crud in all my installations, although the htx-252 still has some static/white noise noticable exen when squelched and/or volume completely down.

But it is possible that the radio needs repair.  Hopefully you have a fuse in-line in your power connection as well, for safety reasons.

Best of luck solving the issue, I will check back to see if you are succesful & hope to see you post the solution, if so.  Sorry I haven't much more to offer.
Let us know what you try, etc.  

n5cel
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2004, 09:26:47 PM »

You've run across the famous Radio Shack quality--I had a similar problem with a RS transceiver, opened the case and found the board had been badly soldered, some of the connections had barely enough solder to hold the components on the circuit board.

As I recall, there was a connection where the power wiring had insufficient solder, and when I had resoldered that, the radio worked fine.  

Although I cannot guarantee that is the problem with your set, I would investigate that before using the radio too much more.

Good Luck!
KC0LCS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2004, 05:46:11 PM »

Thanks for the help, guys. I'll see if I can find anything. I'm only 13, though, so I'm not a radio engineer or anything. I'll see if I can do anything.
73, Nathan KCØLCS
KC0QFP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2004, 08:28:06 PM »

Nathan, as of a year ago the power harness for the HTX-252 was still available via RS (it's only $10 if memory serves). With that cable you will get the inline fuse and have the right gauge wire to supply the radio the current it needs.

Max...
KC0QFP
KC0LCS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2004, 07:04:46 PM »

Okay. I think I've fixed the problem. When I had tried it out and had the problems, I was using two batteries hooked up together. When I turned it on with a power supply today, it worked fine. I believe it WAS a lack of power, like one of you said. I'm not certain, but pretty sure. I'll ask again if I have any bad problems. Thanks for your help, y'all.
73, Nathan KCØLCS
By the way, you can look at my new website I've made. It's www.kc0lcs04.bravehost.com.
KC8QZR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2004, 06:51:07 PM »

i need a wireing diagram for that radio do you have one or know where i can get one at
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: