Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2 Meter Antenna Mast Question  (Read 828 times)
WA0RJ

Ignore
« on: July 31, 2004, 10:38:48 PM »

I have an MFJ 1750 I want to put up on a mast or pole. I want to get it up higher than my roof line (2 story house) but don't want to drill holes in my roof to put a mast on the peak.  I thought I would either attach a pole/mast to my deck or from the ground up using the deck as a support.

I have little experience with this so I seek advice.  Should I use a metal pole of some kind (conduit, fencing pole, etc) or PVC?  If I use 1 and 1/4 inch diameter, how long of a mast can I put up without guying?  

The house has metal soffit and facia and gutters.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.
KA5VCQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2004, 11:25:25 PM »

I don't even use a mast. Just mount it to your roof's vent pipe on a piece of PVC.  I have two antennas mounted that way and it works great
W4TYU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2004, 11:27:21 PM »

At the time I was working a lot of 2 Meter FM, I put a Ringo Ranger on top of three sections of TV masting. The MFJ antenna appears to be about the same weight as the Ringo so it should work.  I drove a 3 foot long piece of 2" pipe as far as I could and simply stepped the bottom of the mast into the pipe. It swayed in the wind but was flexable so it did not bend or blow down.

This scheme would work even better if you could use some type of stand offs from the house.  I know you have seen TV antennas mounted to a house.

Ole man JEAN
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2004, 12:44:37 AM »

I use push up mast ( you can get 20 footers from radio shack) and they also make a gizmo (wall mount)that lets you screw it into the facia board and this will hold your mast with a small antenna, even a small rotor and beam. put the base over a pipe stub or pust it into the ground so it can't move.  if you go higher than 10 feet above the roof, guy it every ten feet with guy wires, there should be something about this in the  arrl handbook
AB3BK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2004, 06:22:43 PM »

ORJ,
 Don't use conduit or PVC pipe for a mast.  The conduit will bend over during the first thunderstorm.  The PVC will bow, and dry out and crack in short order.  It's not made to be a support for anything.  If you bolt to your vent pipe, it will eventually leak if you use that.

Fence pipe is strong enough, although there are different sizes and thickness.  I have a 25ft piece of galvanized commercial fencing pole that I have used for years in different applications.  With only about 6ft of it secure, it hardly moves in strong winds.

Our local Lowes store sells antenna pole that is somewhat sturdy, much batter than the old radio shack stuff.  You may want to check there.  They also have "eave mounts" for antennas, which I recommend for your application.  All you need is 10ft of mast and an eave mount.

Good luck
Dave AB3BK

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2004, 06:29:26 PM »

Get a couple of 10 foot lengths of antenna mast pipe and attach them to a corner of your deck.  Guy it three ways near the top of the second section, right below the antenna.  Put your antenna up and have fun.  I have a similar setup, its been up over six years, and it's just as solid as the day I put it up.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2004, 06:29:28 PM »

Get a couple of 10 foot lengths of antenna mast pipe and attach them to a corner of your deck.  Guy it three ways near the top of the second section, right below the antenna.  Put your antenna up and have fun.  I have a similar setup, its been up over six years, and it's just as solid as the day I put it up.
WA0RJ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2004, 08:44:43 PM »

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I will consider all everyone has said and see what works best for my situation.
KT8K

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2004, 04:41:22 PM »

Keep asking questions - you're getting good input.

1-1/4 TV mast is not made to hold up much, and must be guyed if you are going to go above one 10' piece.  Fence rail, as mentioned before, is very sturdy, but is also very heavy.  I have seen aluminum irrigation tubing so light one person can raise 35' of it to vertical, but it requires guying.  To avoid guying (TV mast or telescoping mast), you can use the afore-mentioned eave bracket.  Avoid chimney mounts as they will put too much stress and vibration on the chimney.

Good luck & be safe.  73 de kt8k - Tim
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: