Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need "Dummies Guide to Emergency Power"  (Read 240 times)
KB3KTY

Ignore
« on: August 04, 2004, 01:18:20 PM »

Hi All,

We live fairly close to Washington DC, and with the recent upgrade in the Homeland threat level, I would like to have a backup power source for my shack. I know absolutely zip about these systems. What could I purchase that would -

A. Have decent capacity to run a 50 watt tranceiver with accessories?

B. Have a solar component?

C. Be fairly automatic?

Any help would be appreciated!

Mike
KB3KTY
KE4SKY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2004, 01:39:16 PM »

For the requirement you describe I would get a Yuasa NP65-12, 65 amp-hour sealed lead-acid battery and a Schumacher Model SE-1-12S, 1.5A automatic charger.   It sells for about $30 and has overload, reverse polarity and temperature protection and is available at www.batterychargers.com  
KD5HUS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2004, 01:25:04 PM »

Hi

If your just going to take care of a radio or two, check out the Honda generators.  I have the 2000 series and we use it during field day with about 4 radios, lights, rotors, etc.  It seems to work well.

hope this helps you.

cheers

Mark

KD5HUS in Puerto Rico
KENNETH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2004, 02:30:29 PM »

Some people use a 5 watt Unisolar flexible solar panel and that worked
nice. Using a 7AH gell cell, it will kept pace about dead even with the FT817 and
with the K-1. the battery was charging all the while using it. I would think
that for an extended use with a decent weather forecast you could get away
with a one or two 2AH gel cells instead of the heavier 7AH

Photos here http://www.wulfden.org/NVQS/VBWFPA/

You will have to upgrade to power your 50 Watt rig. The above example is for 5 watts but hope it will give you some ideas.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2004, 03:50:56 PM »

I'd suggest you take a look at the Yamaha generators ( http://www.mayberrys.com ). I got a chance to use one a couple of months ago - really sweet! Small, lightweight, quiet. Generator powers an inverter so your rig gets a really accurate (0.1 Hz), clean, stable voltage. The generator speed varies according to the load so it idles down when the load is light.
KC8HXO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2004, 05:59:56 PM »

OK, I am no "expert" , and I am sure others will say my idea is no good, but this has worked for me for 6 years. (2) 6-volt golf car batteries wired in series. 32W panel hooked to them direct, with a blocking diode to prevent discharge thru the panel at night. No charge controller, no problems. Add water to the batteries about 3 times per year. Operates my entire station except the linear. Always charged, always ready. Batteries still have good capacity after 6 years. I have done no maintenance to the system, except add water. Lots of amperage available. No power supply in the shack. No gas to store for a genny. A smaller version of this system should fit your criteria. Keep the batteries outdoors. Mine are in a home-brew vented box. I can run an inverter to power light 110V loads if needed. Add a 12V light to the shack.... any RV place will have many choices. Well, that is the basics here. Again, many may say it is not a  good system, but 6 years experience tells me IT WORKS. 100% Emergency power, 100% of the time.
73- Greg, KC8HXO
K0RFD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2004, 09:41:39 PM »

KB3KTY wrote:
>We live fairly close to Washington DC

I'd be moving...
KB3KTY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2004, 12:12:58 AM »

Thanks all!

Mike
KB3KTY
KB9YUR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2004, 06:51:28 AM »

Mike,

check out www.solarsense.com for portable solar power systems. At home I use the
APC SU1000 UPS battery backup unit for emergency power for both my Icom 746
and 275H radios. We use the larger APC (www.apcc.com) SU2200XLNET unit and
7 external batteries for providing emergency backup power to the entire house.
George ...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: