Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Restrictions in Palmdale/Lancaster, CA Area  (Read 924 times)
W2WHC

Ignore
« on: November 27, 2002, 09:03:06 PM »

I am moving to the Palmdale/Lancaster area of southern California after the first of the year.  I would like to get on HF again after a multi-year absence.  Any hams in the area willing to pass along advice as I go house hunting in a week?

Bill
W2WHC

Bill Crews, W2WHC
Friendswood, TX
Formerly: WB2CPV, WN2EVH, WD5HTO
DX Calls: V31WC, A22\WB2CPV, WB2CPV\YU, S92ZM(operated)
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2002, 08:16:46 AM »

INSIST on seeing the applicable CC&Rs and other restrictive documents at the first showing.  Make sure your Real Estate agent understands this so these documents can be available.  Be up front that you are a Ham ans are vitally concerned about antenna restrictions.  If you get any hesitation on the part of the Agent or sellers or they "can't locate the documents", look elsewhere.

I have little faith in the integrity of Agents and developers, to whit:

When we bought our current house, I was away on a business trip.  They displayed the CC&Rs, for the VERY FIRST TIME, at the closing.  My Wife had power of attorney and, not realinzing how the restrictions would later effect us, signed the papers.  If I had been present, this would have been a 'deal breaker'.

Dennis
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2002, 12:25:06 PM »

Bill, work with a realtor and tell them in advance that you're not interested in buying a home having restrictive covenants -- period.  

And you might expand your horizon a bit, as well.  There are lovely homes in Acton and other areas nearby Lancaster/Palmdale which are "horse properties" and have no restrictions.  The "tract" homes in L-P can have CC&Rs which could make your life miserable -- although not all do.

When you're working with a knowledgeable realtor, also ask them about other restrictions that can impact your lifestyle: These do not relate to ham radio, but to life in general.  For example, Palmdale has curfews for minors, and they are very strict about these.  I believe any minor (under age 18) found outdoors after 10:00pm without a parent or legal guardian is subject to arrest.  This may make some parents happy, but it seems kind of wacky to me, and might impact my decision regarding living there.

WB2WIK/6
W0LPQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2002, 01:01:38 PM »

Suggest you look up the email address of Bill, N6PY who lives in Palmdale.  He is one of the NCS stations of the Collins CCA Net (both 29050 AM and 14263 SSB).

He has antennas.  Email Bill and ask.  He can probably give you some great ideas.

Bill, W0LPQ
K7LA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2003, 05:05:56 PM »

It also depends on whether you will be residing within incorporated city limits or in unincorporated Los Angeles County territory.  

If there are no overriding CC&R restrictions on your prospective home, remember that L.A. County has an excellent antenna ordinance that applies to UNincorporated county areas giving you the RIGHT to erect a radio antenna to 35 feet without permits, and any crank neighbor that objects has to post a cash appeal bond with the county or he can't challenge.  

Any higher elevation does require some paperwork.

Hams were given this ordinance as a THANK YOU for their service in assisting the county after the Northridge earthquake ten years ago.

For assistance: the local county elected official is

Michael D. Antonovich
Supervisor, Fifth District
Antelope Valley Office
1113 W. Ave M-4, Suite A
Palmdale, CA 93551
(661) 726-3600

Good luck on the house hunt!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: