Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Power Supplies  (Read 282 times)
W8LBO

Ignore
« on: August 30, 2004, 06:10:15 PM »

What power supply would you recommend?  I'm looking in the $60 or under category, used or new, though new  in that range is a steal.  I just need somthing that can put out a clean 20 amps continous 13.8 volts for my IC-718. Continous meaning 100 watts CW. My antennas are outdoors and my rig is about 3 or 4 feet from where the power supply would be.  I work 40, 15, 10, and 2 meters, though I plan to maybe do some 80, 160 and 20. I don't know how much this effects it but I figure you usually want all the info I have.
Thanks,
Timothy W8LBO
K7JBQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2004, 06:33:37 PM »

Timothy,

You can't go wrong with an Astron 20A, which can be found routinely in the $50-$60 range used. Best to get one locally (hamfest, swap meet etc.) as they aren't lightweights and shipping can be expensive.

Don't let the 16 amp continuous 20 amp intermittent rating bother you. It'll run the 718 all day long with no problem.

Bill
N0BTM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2004, 07:08:58 PM »

You may want to look at ebay..of course let buyer beware..I found a Tripplite transformer type, a big brute, 30 amp constant, 40 amp intermitant. I use it to power my 718..its overkill thats for sure, but not "strayning it" at all..should work for many years.
Was like new, cost me 75 bucks with the ship. Look for a seller close to your location to save on ship, as the transformer versions are Heavy.
AL
N0BTM
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2004, 09:06:18 PM »

Don't forget to check the ads on this site, too.  Sometimes you can get a deal right here.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2004, 10:05:38 PM »

I agree, the astron series is very good.

Check the dealers, many offer flat rate shipping based on the dollar total
of the order and that can save you money on heavy items like ps.

http://www.aesham.com

73 james
KZ1X

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2004, 10:39:24 PM »

How about the 13A 'Ramboy' supply, which is $20 shipped, plus a nice gel-cell across it?  You can get 35A peaks off this setup for $30 or less.  This is half the price you are considering.  

No isolation diode required, although if you don't use one, you don't want the gel-cell connected if the mains are going to be off for more than an hour or two.  I have two of these set-ups here.  Work FB.  No noise, plenty of current, no voltage sag, and the advantage of 'emergency' power when it's needed.
K9FV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2004, 09:16:13 AM »

Tell us where to get this "Ramboy" 13A power supply.  Is this Gel Cell batteries connected to a charger?

Ken
W8LBO

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2004, 11:17:54 AM »

I'm curious as to know about that Astron 20a.  I read that the IC-718 uses 20 amps max, and the Astron seems a little risky then.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2004, 11:52:28 AM »

The radio only draws 20A for short periods of time on voice peaks. The average current is much less. A supply that is rated for 20A intermittant, 16A continuous should work fine.
W8LBO

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2004, 12:00:30 PM »

That's good to know, but what about AM, CW, and Digital modes? I don't use those much, but I'd like to leave some room to grow, except in no way do I need an amp. I'd rather go the extra mile and get something that I wouldn't have to worry about taking breaks and that.  If $20 or so dollars over is a better plan, I'd rather use that.
Tim
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2004, 01:35:01 PM »

You're going to have to decide between price and performance.  You listed a $60 price cap, so your options become fewer.  Reduce your requirements (i.e. your max continous power) or increase the dollars.  You could luck out and find a deal on a beefier supply but it would be just that, luck.  Personally I think the RS-20A/M would cover your needs very well, but if you think you need the additional headroom you're going to have to shell out additional bucks.  You may want to think about what else you might want to connect to this supply in the future, say a 2M rig or other 12V equipment.  It might justify spending the additional dollars for a 35A supply even if you don't anticipate using it right away.  

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM

K7JBQ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2004, 02:05:59 PM »

Agree, but consider that your power output on AM is about 40 watts, and the max you should use on RTTY (per the manual) is 50. And anything over 50 on PSK is overkill. As for CW, you might hit 20 amps on a really long dah.

Hams have been using Astron 20s for years with 100-watt class rigs, and I have yet to hear anyone with a problem.

Now, if you want to run a 2m rig for packet cluster, in which case both rigs might be briefly transmitting at the same time, yes, go for the 35 amp. Otherwise, don't worry about it.

Bill
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: