Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: antenna restriction wording  (Read 759 times)
KF4KWO

Ignore
« on: May 25, 2003, 11:17:11 AM »

Here's what my HOA says about outside antennas.  Can someone help me out with what this really means?

// Antennas.  Exterior antennas are prohibited, except to the extent required to be permitted by applicable law. //

What is the "applicable law" referring to?  A county/city/state/federal law that would forbid HOA/CC&R from NOT allowing exterior antennas?  

FYI, the wording is exactly the same for satellite dishes (except for the comma), and there are folks here who have Dish Network dishes mounted on their decks, next to the garage, etc, in full view.

Thanks and 73,
Jeff, KF4KWO
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2003, 11:02:13 PM »

The only exceptions that your HOA must comply with are those contained in the PRB1 exemptions.  An up to 2 ft diameter direct broadcast dish is exempted along with an antenna to receive over-the-air TV signals.  This means that expecting to get that 8 foot dish in is not likely.  Also, requesting a TV antenna installation at a height of 80 feet so you can receive a station from 100 miles away will not fly.  Additionally, antennas for digital data services are covered.  So I guess that you could have a WiFi antenna.  This leads to the possibility of remotely controlling a transmitter loicated at a non-restricted site?
KC8VWM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2003, 04:58:46 PM »

Some

Since a person may erect a TV antenna, I am thinking about buying a TV antenna and trimming it to work on either 70cm, 2m, or 6m. Perhaps it could even work on all bands.

You can also buy one of those TV antennas that mount directly over the sattelite dish. I suppose that it could be trimmed to resonate frequency too.

PVC vents on roofs are also an excellent way to make a multiband 1/4 wave antennas. "White" lamp cord that resembles the color of the PVC works best.

How about putting up a fake "vent"?
Hardware stores usually sell these vents pretty cheap. Cut to approx. 19.5" and your vent will make an excellent radiator on 2 meters.

The vent should be located as high a possible, for adequate ventilation of course.

I was thinking about a 6 meter beam in the attic, but it might be easier to construct a 6m horizonal beam out of wire that closely resembles the color of the roof shingles.

You can string up a nice and long wire dipole by tucking it under that plastic PVC siding used on most of these newer homes.

My favorite antenna stealth trick is to purposely install what may appear to be cable TV wire along the side of your house or building. Make it appear professionally installed by the cable guy himself!

Be sure it looks like it runs from one destination to another. Construct the wire using official "cable guy" tiedowns and the whole nine yards.

Be sure it bends around window frames, doorways, and try to make it as long as possible for HF. Heck, you could even put one of those yellow colored "utility tags" on your new long wire to show everyone one in your neighborhood that your newly installed HF antenna was even certified, dated, and initialed by the cable company.

If you think the newly added wire might raise suspicions, you could simply say something like, "Yeah, got tired of that slow dial up internet access. They had a great deal on cable internet access. they installed that extra cable for my new broadband cable modem. I will never go back to dial up again!"

Good DX'ing

Charles Bushell

KC8VWM

KF4KWO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2003, 10:15:31 PM »

Thanks for the replies.  I've got an MFJ magnetic loop that works pretty good, just have to find a place for it in the new shack.  I could leave it in the attic over the closet, but I don't quite know how I'll get the feedline from it to the radio.

The dipole on the siding intrigues me.  I do have the plastic-type siding, so this could actually be feasible.  Wouldn't mind having the magnetic loop and an end-fed or center-fed dipole.  

Jeff, KF4KWO
KG6OYK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2003, 10:40:10 PM »

Charles (KC8VWM) -

Excellent Ideas! I like the "cable TV" longwire idea...

SteveL
KG6OYK
N0PWZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2003, 12:23:37 PM »

I believe the limit on sat antennas is 1 meter (~39 inches?). That allows the old Primestar reflectors which are pretty good gain.
NA6MB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2003, 02:36:03 PM »

I know that it is unlikely that you will be found out, but if you use the "receive" antenna (TV , etc.) to tramsmit or receive anything other than what is specifically mentions in the FCC exemptions, you are breaking the rule.

Same goes for "falgpole" antennas.

Like I said, unlikely that you'll get caught, but be careful. You could be asked to remove it or face a fine.

I believe HOAs are little governments and should have to follow PRB-1, so hopefully the law making that happen will pass.

Mike - N6OHS

K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2003, 10:45:23 AM »

Even with vinyl siding, some houses are sheathed in aluminum foil from batts of insulation to the insulation board underneath the siding.  I'd be really careful...

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
KF6PYF

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2003, 07:53:24 PM »

Just thought I would throw my 2 cents in.. If I read correctly under PBR-1 you can erect a television antenna ?? don’t most television masts require a few guide wires. Those Guide wires sure look like they might make a good inverted Vee  so instead of running the coax to the antenna. Run it to the insulated guide wires.. Trim them to the proper length add an insulator and enough wire to make the guide wire the right length. Even a small antenna could use 4 guide wires.. or 2 inverted Vee’s 90 degrees apart Hey you could even phase them and make a Turnstile antenna Huh    
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: