Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Solid State HF rig for under $150?  (Read 499 times)
KC0KBH

Ignore
« on: September 10, 2004, 05:58:23 PM »

Is there a solid state HF rig out there for around $150 that would do well on PSK31?  I am looking for something that would be all band.  Is there one out there?
KD5JDG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2004, 06:15:52 PM »

Honest Answer: No

Even used, expect to pay at least $150 for a used 80's era hybrid (tube final & driver, all else solid state) all band/all mode rig. I'm in the same delimma you're n, but I managed to trade, barter, and save my way to my current station (look me up at QRZ.com). However, there are deals every now and then, so keep a look out...Good Luck!

TNX & 73's,
Fabian X.C.S.
KD5SYH

BTW: Radios cost too much nowdays...
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2004, 06:42:48 PM »

You can get a new single band PSK31 rig from Small Wonder Labs for about that or a little less.
KC8VWM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2004, 01:25:52 AM »

"Is there a solid state HF rig out there for around $150"

I was always integued by the words "Solid State" on radio equipment. Back in the 50's 60's they would prominently display this on all handheld portable radios as a marketing gimmick.

The idea was to convey the "ruggedness" of the radio by implying it was "Solid".

As it turns out, "Solid State" means nothing more than the fact that the molecules of the device are of a - you guessed it - "solid state."

This is in another words not to suggest that the equipment is constructed in a gaseous or a liquid state.

Anyways, for $150 you probobly wont find much in the HF range according to your specifications.

But hey... I recently ran across a solid state Fisher Price baby monitor running under $150 bucks that works on HF frequencies?!... Smiley

Charles - KC8VWM
AD8A

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2004, 08:06:56 AM »

I found a used TS-130S for $200 about a year ago, not a bad rig, you might find one for near your price, but you're pushing the envelope.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2004, 12:37:37 AM »

check out craigs list, the local swap nets, local ham clubs, and look at NORCAL qrp stuff, and a small amp..
N8FVJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2004, 10:35:53 AM »

The TEN TEC Trition IV analog readout has a good receiver & sells for about $150. For a few more dollars, the digital readout version is easy to navigate the 80-10M bands.
KT8K

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2004, 11:35:11 AM »

I got a Tentec Argosy with the xtal filters for $180 at Dayton in '03.  It's my best rig.  Power is switchable 5w or 50w, and the receiver is great - especially with the xtal and audio filters - especially for CW (and, by inference, digital) use.  There are other rigs you can find for cheap, not just the QRP types, and the solid state stuff from the late 70's and early 80's could do the job for you at the price you can afford.
Good luck & 73 de kt8k - Tim
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: