102" Stainless Steel Whip for CB radio

(1/3) > >>

Grant:
Supposedly, this works the absolute best for CB. Where is the best place to buy one, what should I look for in buying one and what do I do in order to mount it to my vehicle? (detailed information on getting a good ground etc please)I know someone mentioned mounting it to my trailer hitch, which seems like a great idea, but what other ways are there? And not to act stupid, but a 102" whip is actually 8 1/2 feet? That's not the "imaginary length" with the added coil or some crap? That seems a little HUGE. I have never seen one on the road Do you tie them down to the car so they dont stick up so far? Or let them fly high

How well would a 4 foot fiberglass "firestik" antenna work?

The thing I am most concerned about is damaging the antenna and my car while offroading. The roof of my jeep is already 6 feet off the ground. The lowest point of my jeep (the bumper) is about 3 feet off the ground.  

Erik VanRenselaar:
Yes, a 102" mobile whip antenna is large, but it is a quarter wave antenna for 27 MHz (11 meter Citizen's Band).  With the development of top quality base or center-loaded CB antennas, the 1/4 wave whip has fallen out of favor.  And especially for your application, most sponsored off-pavement 4WD trips will not allow a CB whip greater than 4 ft tall due to safety concerns.  A roof mounted coil-loaded or helical wound antenna should do ok on your vehicle.  Look for an antenna that needs little or no ground plane, as it doesn't sound like your vehicle has much of a steel roof.

STEPHEN G. TULLOS:
You can buy a 102" stainless steel whip at any Radio Shack store. They cost $14.95 each, and work very well.

I use mine with an old Robyn SSB CB, and can usually get around 20 miles mobile to mobile on SSB running 12 watts P.E.P. On AM, the range drops to about 10 or 12 miles.

I have mine mounted to an aluminum toolbox on my Tacoma, and haven't had any problems resulting from its use. It just "flops" in the wind, and whacks an occasional low limb. No damage occurs to the antenna, though.

For the best range on the CB band, the whips can't be beat. Anything else will certainly reduce your range...

I run a bug-catcher and FT 600 for HF purposes, but that's another story.....

Bob Lewis:
Radio Shack has the 102-inch stainless whips. You probably don't want to mount it on the roof, even though it would work best there. Most people mount them at the bumper level. There are a variety of mounts available; bumper mounts, hitch mounts, and ball mounts for the fender. Make sure you use a spring between the mount and the whip in case you hit anything.

A good ground connection from the shield of the coax to the vehicle chassis is essential. Use copper strap to tie the mount (coax shield connection) to the chassis - make it as short as possible. Don't depend on bolted vehicle pieces to provide a good electrical connection.

They make "tie downs" that you can attach to the rain gutter in order to fold the whip over when not in use.

Stephen L Crook:
Yep, 8.5 feet, While theoretically ideal, because they generally are mounted to a bumper or left rear fender (farther from roadside trees) and sometimes clipped down to the gutter at the tip,  the pattern can be somewhat distorted/uneven compared to a 3 - 4 foot base (or center or continuous, e.g. Firestik) on the roof. Also they are awkward, and at high speeds they bend back directring some of the RF skyward, not horizontally too, further hurting performance.

The K40 (Wilson?) is a long (4'?) base loaded 11m antenna that was popular, and there are several lengths (and colors) of Firestiks IIRC.

One also used to see slightly shorter versions, usually on a ball mount on the rear fender (though 6' +/- is more reasonable than 8.5) on police (or fire) cars that were using the 30-50MHz low VHF safety freq.s. They have gone to high VHF or UHF mostly, and/or also use base or center loaded trunk or roof mounted whips of 2-3 feet or so.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page