Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Qubical Quads in Washington State  (Read 249 times)
KD7ZVL

Ignore
« on: November 08, 2004, 07:01:48 AM »

Does anyone know of any hams in Washington State that own a Cubical Quad?  I have need photos of them on the Web, but it would be nice to see one in person.

Bill

KW7KUD
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2004, 11:24:29 AM »

This is like the preverbal question does this suite make me look fat. What is your concern regarding Quads? I can tell you they look the same in person as they do in a picture.

Quads work very will when mounted lower to the ground than a Yagi. They still need to be above ΒΌ wavelength at their lowest frequency. They require less rotor than a similar gain Yagi and perform very well in limited area applications. If you have icing conditions I would not recommend putting up a Quad. Mine only lasted one winter here in Colorado. In the milder climents they are very popular and provide a good band for the buck in antenna gain.
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2004, 12:23:11 PM »

Bill -

Any preference for frequency?  Are you looking for HF
quads or 2m?

I'm sure I've seen a number of HF quad when I've crossed
to the North side of the Columbia, and there are a
number of them down here as well.  And I've used my 2m
quads on the other side of the river along with a number
of others for a transmitter hunt.

Do you have a particular need for finding photos from
Washington State, or did you just want proof that such
things exist???

- Dale WB6BYU
Portland, Oregon
NU7J

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2004, 02:59:08 PM »

I've got a 2 el Gem quad (Lake Stevens area).  Ward, N0AX (Vashon Is.) also has a Gem Quad.  NG7V (Snohomish) has a 4 el Hy-Gain quad.  A friend of mine who lives nearby is in the process of building a 2 el Gem quad.  It's on the ground now so if you want to see what they look like up close feel free to contact me.  Tom, NU7J at arrl.net
INPROGRESS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2004, 08:42:21 PM »

There are two I am familiar with nearby Bellevue. In Kirkland, there is a world class tower / quad on 132nd. This is near the intersection of NE 140th St. This one is so beautiful it will hurt you to see it. There is a second one on the south side of Hwy 520 driving East about 1/2 mile past Lake Washington. This one is much more in my budget, but still a nice set up.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: