Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Amplifier for TS-940SAT  (Read 284 times)
K3ASF

Ignore
« on: November 17, 2004, 01:03:46 PM »

When my TS-940 gets back from the "Hospital" I am thinking about getting an amplifier for a little punch. Not to much. Thinking abt an Ameritron 811 or possibly a used (obviously) Yaesu FT2100B.  Your thoughts and recommendations would be appreciated. Also would the Ampkeyer be a good choice for switching?
  I read this forum everyday and really value your opinions. Thanks for reading.
NU7J

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2004, 04:37:09 PM »

I have an SB220 and a Heathkit SB220 and also an Alpha 76A.  Both amps are ancient and therefore the open frame relays are slow enough to cause hot switching with my 940.  One of these days I plan to modify both amps to avoid that issue.  In the mean time I switch between Receive and transmit by pressing the "send-receive" switch on the 940.  (A foot switch would be a more elegant temporary solution).  The 940 has a non-adjustable 10ms delay between receive and transmit.  Any of the new amps will work fine w/ the 940.  Most newer transceivers allow you to adjust the T-R time to match the amp switching time.  

Rather than use use the "REMOTE" DIN connector (pin 4) to activate the linear control relay, I built an interface and connected to pin 2 on the XVERTER connector.  (+ 12V on transmit).  That way you don't have to listen to the noisy T-R relay in the 940. (If you plug a DIN connector into the remote socket, the T-R relay is activated and therefore you can't use QSK until you unplug the remote connector.

The interface circuit I used was published in QST (April, 2003, page 66).  

GL and 73,

Tom, NU7J

K3ASF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2004, 05:33:27 PM »

Great info OM. Thanks for your reply. I am logging as much info as I can. You know us HAMS......we all hate to make the wrong decision on equipment.(there's always a critic out there somewhere) I appreciate your response in generalities. Means a lot.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: