The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu FT-60R Question  (Read 1273 times)
KC2NLB

Ignore
« on: November 04, 2004, 05:57:49 PM »

I just got my tech license recently, and purchased a Yaesu FT-60R portable radio. I read and followed the instructions thoroughly with respect to locating active repeater frequencies in the 2M/70cm bands. I successfully located several repeaters in my locality.

Upon tuning into an active repeater, the radio automatically detects the input/output frequencies. Then I decode and save the proper PL tone. So far so good. The problem is...when I key the mic to politely say "KC2NLB listening" or "This is KC2NLB, anyone else on frequency?" nobody seems to hear anything I say. At first, I thought perhaps they were ignoring me. At best, I heard stations say "Station trying to get in...I'm not copying any of your audio, just empty carrier".

So in an attempt to figure out what was going on...I turned on my Uniden scanner and tuned it to the same repeater I was trying to transmit into with my Yaesu. It was then that I noticed...the stations were right. When I keyed up and said "KC2NLB testing", all to be heard was a silent carrier followed by the repeater courtesy tone. No voice whatsoever was coming out on the repeater's output frequency.

I tuned my Uniden scanner to the repeater's uplink frequency and I did notice that I was coming over loud and clear when I keyed the Yaesu up on the uplink.

I have a feeling this is all caused by some minor mistake on my part...and I'd really appreciate a pointer in the right direction...thanks.

-KC2NLB

KZ1X

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2004, 03:19:29 AM »

It looks like you live in Queens, NYC.  Unfortunately, the metro NYC area has some of the worst-performing 2m repeaters I have ever encountered.  Deaf as posts, with screaming 250W transmitters.  The situation on UHF is better, but, the best systems are often private.  I recall that 222 was good, but, you don't have that band, and I'd have recommended 1.2 GHz which you don't have either.  Doesn't matter; the repeater I'd have recommended was destroyed on 9/11.

Try using a repeater that is closer to you.  Remember, you have an HT which transmits (all other things considered) a weak signal.  Just because you can hear it does not mean it can hear you.  The reason you can hear yourself well on your scanner is because you are close to it ...

Speaking as a native NYC person (who used to own and operate a repeater in range) I might also add that the famous, warm, friendly New York City attitude toward outsiders is well represented there on VHF and UHF FM.  You will find that you will enjoy the bands and mode more if you join one of the local clubs.  There are MANY and some are pretty good.
KB9YUR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2004, 03:23:24 AM »

You might also want to try calling on 146.520 simplex.
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2004, 12:57:04 PM »

First, the test with your scanner isn't conclusive that
you are not putting out audio.  I often have this problem
when I get too close to another car on the road that is
transmitting on the repeater I am listening to: the
audio on the repeater disappears.  It is because the
signal from the other radio is swamping my receiver.
If I tune to the transmit frequency of the other radio
(instead of trying to listen to the repeated signal)
then I can hear it fine since I'm now listening to a
very stong signal instead of a weaker signal on one
frequency in the presence of a very strong signal on
another nearby frequency.

But, besides that, I'd suggest checking the deviation
of your subaudible tone.  Our local repeater doesn't
use tone access, but a local ham added a tone encoder
for a trip out of state and had similar problems.  Once
he turned down the tone encoder level his audio came
back to usable level.
KF6IIU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2004, 02:01:06 PM »

My first calls to a particular repeater in San Francisco had this problem. This repeater is especially problematic because I call it from amidst tall buildings, and it is hard to open anyway. It turns out I had the "TX power save" enabled. This feature does not seem to be thoroughly documented; it seems to add a delay after PTT is pressed, then I hear a short DTMF-like tone from the HT, presumably prompting me to begin speaking. Once I disabled the feature, I no longer heard this tone and my communications were not truncated.

Try disabling the TX power save if you have it enabled and see what happens. See if you have the same problem simplex.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: