Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HR 1478 needs your support!  (Read 622 times)
N5CTI

Ignore
« on: April 01, 2003, 07:49:11 AM »

Rep. Steve Israel (D-NY) has again introduced the "Amateur Radio Emergency Communications Consistency Act" in the House of Representatives. HR 1478 would essentially expand the requirements of PRB-1 to include CC&Rs.

Even if you aren't affected by CC&Rs, help out your fellow Hams by contacting your Congressman and stating your support for this bill. More information, with links to contact your Representative and a sample letter can be found at the ARRL web site.

Boyd / N5CTI
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2003, 09:19:23 AM »

My E-Mail is sent.  Letter to follow.  I have also posted the info on our club E-Newsletter.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/dzabawa/lines.htm

Dennis - KG4RUL

PIO - Trident Amateur Radio Club (TARC)
Charleston, SC
KG4GXI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2003, 02:46:50 PM »

Letter was sent. I'm getting anyone I can to send the letter, ham, non-ham, whoever will listen.
This would make my day if the bill passes.  I would go from "no outside antennas" to the county regulation of exempting Amateur radio antennas from restriction. Smiley
N5CTI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2003, 09:07:28 AM »

I (and others) appreciate your support of this bill, but there's an aspect that we need to be sure and consider. The thrust of the bill is to enable Hams and Homeowners Associations to find a compromise, not to remove all restrictions.

I happen to be someone who feels that HOAs, when properly led and focused, provide a benefit to their constituents, which to a great extent revolves around "keeping up appearances." Antennas play as much a role in that as painting, toys in the yards, and maintenance of common areas.

All I'm looking for is the opportunity to find a compromise. In most cases, putting up a tower would probably be considered an eyesore by many (non-Hams). Covering your roof with Yagis and Eggbeaters and such would probably make potential buyers for your neighbor's property think twice. Even though they're probably wrong, they'd be worried about RFI in addition to not wanting to look at an antenna farm.

My point is, there are compromises to be found. I completely agree with those who demand the freedom to put up whatever they want, so they look for properties that don't have these restrictions. I moved into this community long before I became a Ham, and while my ability to string some antennas will play a major role in future home purchases, until that time comes, I'd like to find a compromise that will serve the purposes of both the HOA and the Ham. Neither would get everything they want (160m dipoles usually take up much more room than is available on an HOA lot), but everyone's base purposes could be served without unduly placing the burden on one side or the other.

Boyd / N5CTI
KG4GXI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2003, 04:44:00 PM »

In the spirit of the bill, having a compromise for emergency communication is all I'm after. Having lots of trees, its still a game to hide the equipement. I'd put the tower in the trees, paint it brown and have a vertical sticking out of the tree tops.
KG4GXI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2003, 10:21:35 AM »

Fellow hams,
This bill has sat since April with no action. We need bills like this to pass to help preserve amateur radio. I and others would greatly appreciate you writing your congressman/woman in favor of this bill.

thanks,
Mark
KD4AC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2004, 09:55:48 PM »

I don't understand why so many amateurs are too damn lazy to take a few minutes to send off a message to their representative.  Even if CC&Rs don't impact you directly, it impacts the hobby.  Or do you actually WANT to see people forced out of the hobby because they can't put up antennas?
AH6FC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2004, 12:33:46 PM »

Once again I've written my representatives and asked suppor of 1478 and asked our senator (McCain) to introduce a similar bill.  As a point of interest, I first contacted these people earlier this year.  Interest was expressed by Mr. McCain with 2 follow up letters.  Most of the others sent the usual "thanks for your concer" letter. Since I have "2" residences, I also wrote my Hawaiian reps.  Mr. Akaka (senate) replied and basically said that the FCC told him you don't need home based antennas to effect emergency communications.  Technically true, but this perspective is dangerous to the survival of amateur operations, as emergency communications or an avocation.

To politicians it is critical that they receive multiple letters.  A letter from one is worthless for the cause.  After 4 or 5 their attention should be developing.  If they receive a dozen, they will often really pay attention.  I can't over emphasize the importance of a concerted effort to support these bills.  Sure there are properties without CC&R's, they are fewer and far between.  It's easy to say "I wouldn't buy" or "all you need to do is go buy in an area without CC&R's," it's not always easy to do so.  Even if such restrictions don't affect you, I ask that you support your fellow hams and write your elected representatives.

This is a significant problem.  As I read the various forums regarding these issues I see reason but also see a lot of non-contributory ranting.  There is too much "I'd tell'em to shove it" type of stuff.  It is critical that we work together to overcome these issues.  No, we don't all need stacked monoband beams at 100 feet, but we do need antennas.  Even in restricted areas, antennas can be developed to be effective and relatively hidden.

Enough yacking....I have to go close my garage door before I get a letter from the HOA.

Let's work together.

73's & Aloha,
Bill
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: