Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TS-850S/AT Troubleshooing  (Read 392 times)
KE4QCT

Ignore
« on: December 03, 2004, 07:37:23 AM »

Assistance in troubleshooting a Kenwood TS-850S/AT HF Transceiver.....When turning the set on, the frequency display works for about 2 seconds, then goes blank. A Morse Code signal "UL" is sent after the readout disappears. If the frequency is changed, the display reappears, but again, disappears after 2 seconds.  Appreciate any help....This set has giving trouble free operation for many years.....Mike
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2004, 07:57:12 AM »

UL = "unlocked," indicates the phase lock loop has lost lock.

Needs PLL/VCO service.

Is the rig sitting in a cold room?  These rigs can lose lock if the room temperature gets too low.  If it's in a cold room, try heating it up a bit and see if lock is restored.

WB2WIK/6
W9SZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2004, 01:55:58 PM »

There's a very knowledgeable group of people at this Yahoo group:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TS-850_450_690

Feel free to join!

The TS-440 is notorious for its VCO unlock problem due to a contact cement Kenwood put on the VCO part of the circuit.  I successfully repaired mine by taking every component off that board and cleaning off all the glue.  Very tedious, but worked fine afterwards.

The TS-850 has a similar problem but it hasn't happened to mine yet.  I think it's due to some other cause, as there's no contact cement on the VCO circuits in the 850 AFAIK.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: