Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Defeat Antenna Nazis with ther own game!  (Read 2003 times)
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2005, 04:44:13 AM »

I don't think laziness has anything to do with it. It is all about priorities. How important is ham radio to you? To those to whom it is very important, they will probably take greater steps to buy property where they will have the greatest freedom. Those priorities also dictate how much time we spend on radio and on the radio. If we don't spend several hours a night and all weekend chasing DX or in a contest, does that also mean we are lazy? No, it just means we have other ways of spending our time besides ham radio just as we also chose where to live depends on where ham radio exists on our lists of priorities.

The question has been posed as to why anyone would chose to live under restrictive CC&R's. One reason may be that at some point in time in the past, none of us were ham radio operators. Not all of us have been hams since we were teenagers living in our parent's home. For those who got into the hobby later in life, we all selected a place to live based on other criteria mentioned before and if there was a prohibition against antennas, we probably said, "So what?". Then we discovered ham radio and we were stuck with our decision and had to make the best of it. At that point, we either moved or put a dipole in the attic! At least this time when we plan to move, we will be a lot more aware of what to look for.

NØIU
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2005, 09:11:09 AM »

>RE: Defeat Antenna Nazis with ther own game!  Reply  
by N0IU on May 11, 2005  Mail this to a friend!  
I don't think laziness has anything to do with it. It is all about priorities. How important is ham radio to you? To those to whom it is very important, they will probably take greater steps to buy property where they will have the greatest freedom. Those priorities also dictate how much time we spend on radio and on the radio. If we don't spend several hours a night and all weekend chasing DX or in a contest, does that also mean we are lazy? No, it just means we have other ways of spending our time besides ham radio just as we also chose where to live depends on where ham radio exists on our lists of priorities.

The question has been posed as to why anyone would chose to live under restrictive CC&R's. One reason may be that at some point in time in the past, none of us were ham radio operators. Not all of us have been hams since we were teenagers living in our parent's home. For those who got into the hobby later in life, we all selected a place to live based on other criteria mentioned before and if there was a prohibition against antennas, we probably said, "So what?". Then we discovered ham radio and we were stuck with our decision and had to make the best of it. At that point, we either moved or put a dipole in the attic! At least this time when we plan to move, we will be a lot more aware of what to look for.

NØIU<  

Perfect!  I agree with you 100%.

It is unfortunate that many who said, "So what?" (and I think you hit the nail right on the head with this) later discovered CC&Rs can be quite intrusive on their lifestyles -- ham radio or not.  

While waiting for a house to be completed, we lived in a Town House (CC&Rs, of course) for a while.  It was lovely, a 3-level home with 3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, modern everything, huge family room with 20' tall fireplace, gigantic patio with fountains and barbecues, attached 3-car garage -- really pretty nice.  Except it had CC&Rs.  I've been a ham all my life, but even I was willing to accept simply being off the air for a while, knowing this situation was temporary.

Problem is, radio or no radio, the CC&Rs became a huge pain in the a**.  Visitors had to park in "visitors spaces," no exceptions.  Homeowners had to park in their garages, no exceptions -- and homeowners could be fined or towed if they parked in visitors spaces.  Don't like it?  Go park on a city street, 4 blocks away.

That was just one example of the CC&R problem.  There were many.  I couldn't wait to escape, and will never again live with restrictive covenants, even if that means leaving the country.  Just too much crap for me.

But I fully agree with your last post.

Steve WB2WIK/6

AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2005, 07:56:58 PM »

Yes, I'm just south of Quantico. I had my house built 20 years ago and there are covenants. None restricting antennas (I checked before I purchased the lot) but there are covenenents regarding such things a fence types and placement, not putting a shed or anything else within 100 feet of the creek, and a variety of other things - even though there is still no HOA. The guy who developed the property had to put them in place in order to get the development approved - over 20 years ago!

If a HOA becomes active, by a majority vote they can decide to put additional restrictions in place. They probably can't make you take down an existing tower but I'll bet they can prevent you from putting up an additional tower or making any significant changes to the existing one like additional height.

The newer communities are far more restictive and as you move north towards DC it gets worse.
WB4M

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2005, 03:59:51 PM »

N0IU: Read the post above mine by WB2WIK.. he understands what the originator is saying.  You obviously don't.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2005, 04:39:09 AM »

WB4M: I don't get it???

The objective of the 'real' Nazis was the wholesale extermination of anyone who they saw as a threat. They were rounded up like cattle and shipped off to death camps and slaughtered by the millions. Their houses of worship and holy scriptures were destroyed. There is even a Holocaust museum that displays items such as wallets and lamp shades made out of the flesh of these innocent victims. It is people like you and the author who trivialize and make light of this horrendous time in the history of mankind who do not understand.

These HOA groups, while they can be a real pain in the ass, bear no resemblance whatsover to the Nazis. Shame on you!
KF3EG

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2005, 10:17:52 PM »

Starts out about antenna restrictions and ends as a holy war.
   Look at history, open your, eyes, ears and mind.
Hitler gained the trust of the youth then the educators, then took a country by storm. Sounds like CC&r's to me, no matter how small it is taking away one or many of ones rights.
  So antenna Nazi sounds about right to me. Before you type your Holy war about what I said here, why don't you send God a email since he cast the Jews to the wilderness for 40 years and tell him about your thoughts, damn lets not forget all the Americans who died and are in the ground in a strange land, who never got to come home, yeah the little people who fought to free those left in camps, not to mention all the other countries who fought and people died. Yours are the only people who suffered, poor you.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2005, 05:52:39 AM »

KF3EG wrote: "Starts out about antenna restrictions and ends as a holy war. Look at history, open your, eyes, ears and mind. Hitler gained the trust of the youth then the educators, then took a country by storm. Sounds like CC&r's to me, no matter how small it is taking away one or many of ones rights. So antenna Nazi sounds about right to me."

Let me see if I understand what you are saying. According to your own words, CC&R's might be the beginning of the next mass extermination here in America; the elimination of all ham radio operators. Those people who are opposed to us putting up our outdoor antennas will eventually want to ship all of us off to death camps so they will never have to deal with us again. They want unspoiled landscapes that are not ruined by our ugly antennas and will do anything to achieve that goal. But are you sure they won't be satisfied with just exterminating the hams who live in subdivisions? If those antenna Nazis are as intent on eliminating this problem as you say they are, they will eventually come after you too and your 72 acre farm won't protect you. The 'real' Nazis did not discriminate between those people whom they thought might be a problem and those that they knew to be a problem (in their minds), so they just got rid of all of them. Hams are the problem no matter where they live!

Of course CB operators will also be included with this mass extermination, but that won't be any great loss since hams don't like them anyway. Probably better do away with the scanner folks too because they could become hams one day.

The Nazi party was not about taking away rights. It was about the perpetuation of a master race by exterminating anyone who did not conform to their standard. Oddly enough, Adolph Hitler had neither blonde hair or blue eyes! So if this is truly belive that these antenna Nazis are cut from the same cloth, then I suppose we can look forward to your new VE call soon?
AH6FC

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2005, 08:30:13 AM »

It's amazing how these get off point.
N6AYJ

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2005, 07:43:10 AM »

You AGREED TO the CC&R's!  Stop whining!
WA4MJF

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2005, 12:41:11 PM »

Always remember and don't forget, most krauts were
NOT members of the Nazi party, in fact, quite a few
were Catholic, Nazi Party members were Godless.  Today, the Nazi Party is even smaller.

So you are talking about a relaitively small subset of the population.

73 de Ronnie
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2005, 01:12:42 PM »

WA4MJF wrote, "Always remember and don't forget, most krauts were NOT members of the Nazi party, in fact, quite a few were Catholic, Nazi Party members were Godless."

This seems to be contrary to what I read about the pope Benedict XVI who was a member of the Hitler Youth because it was compulsory and you don't get much more Catholic than him!
WA4MJF

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2005, 02:40:42 PM »

Membership in the Hitler Youth is not the same as
being a member of the Nazi Party.  The Pope was
also in the Wehrmacht (AAA) which, does not mean he was
a Nazi.   Now on the other hand, until very late
in the war, being in the Waffen SS was limited to members of the party.

73 de Ronnie

N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2005, 04:45:47 AM »

WA4MJF wrote, "Always remember and don't forget, most krauts were NOT members of the Nazi party, in fact, quite a few were Catholic, Nazi Party members were Godless."

What does the number of German citizens being members of the Nazi party have to do with any of this? What point are you trying to make? Why should I be less offended if what you say is true? My quarrel is not with the German people. I used to work for Volkswagen and have been to the factories Germany many times. And yes, I am well aware of the relationship between Adolph Hitler and Dr. Porsche.

My problem is with anyone who wants to perpetuate their vision of a master race and exterminates anyone who does not qualify.

WA4MJF goes on to write, "Membership in the Hitler Youth is not the same as being a member of the Nazi Party."

Well than what was the purpose? Obviously the Hitler Youth was formed to indoctrinate the young men into the ways of the Nazi party.
K4RAB

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2005, 07:46:54 PM »

Unfortunately, I think this discussion is not well entitled, so I will try to shine a little light on the situation with "common interest developments," which is the real subject here. Like WB2WIK, I think the best solution is NOT to buy into a CID. They are "homeownership in name only!"

Hams repeatedly make the mistake of believing that the problem with CID/HOA housing is the prohibition against antennas, when the real issue here is property rights, property rights that do not exist in an HOA regime! You sign them away when you close on the house! This is why I call "ownership" in an HOA "homeownership in name only!"

There are some websites that I think all of you should look at: www.ahrc.com, and www.ccfj.net, for starters. Read the HOA horror stories from all across the country. Few of them have to do with antennas!

If you really want to delve further into the HOA/CID housing can of worms, go on to Amazon.com and get a copy of the book "Villa Appalling!: Destroying the Myth of Affordable Community Living" by Donie Vanitzian and Stephen Glassman. ISBN: 0-9721317-1-X. I would recommend that ANYONE contemplating the purchase of real estate in this country buy and read this book. This book may well be the ultimate weapon to convince that new house crazy XYL why buying into a CID is a bad idea. You will see the validity of the statement "A home inside an association is an asset to the association, a home not in an association is an asset to the owner."

The antenna restriction issue is but the tip of the proverbial iceberg when dealing with CID/HOA housing. When an HOA is involved, your equity is at risk!

Rick Black
K4RAB
KC9OD

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2005, 03:38:04 PM »

Finding the house everyone likes in an area everyone likes convenient to what everyone wants isn't easy ,even without the crazy rules. HOAs and CC&rs appeal to the 50cent millionaires who want to believe they're moving into a better neighborhood.And the HOAs like the city councils and zoning and planning boards are filled with people who want to dictate how everyone must live.
They are nazis in the fact that they are willing and even eager to force conformity or exile upon the community members,and they will send armed officers to back up their demands and outrageous fines.
One of the very high growth communities in this county had realtors who didn't bother informing homebuyers of the existence of the HOA!Home buyers thought they were simply buying a home in a large subdivision. Said HOA dictated placement of flower gardens even!Antenna?Forget towers,even a wire dipole in the backyard was a concern,never mind it wasn't visible from 20 feet away.(and one retired ham's wife HATED even that antenna. My observation is such homes are also actually appealing to the woman who doesn't like her husband's hobbies,so she can be assured there will be little or no hobby radio,car repairing,or other non-Better Homes and gardens activity.
 I think the wife is still the one having more say about which house to buy, and know of cases where the fellow was told this house or we go seperate ways. No messy animals ,either.Well,perhaps one valuable pedigreed teacup poodle or exotic parrot!
 A man who has a wife that supports or even quiety tolerates his hobby is lucky; my ex insisted there was no need for a tv antenna because no antenna was needed on her daddy's tv when she was a girl!!(Just for the record that was not even a part of why it's ex.)
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: