Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Attic Antennas  (Read 719 times)
WB0ZPW

Ignore
« on: June 28, 2005, 07:07:44 AM »

Just curious....has anyone had any success using a "rotatable dipole" (such as the Cushcraft D3) mounted in a static configuration in an attic? - Mike
K5DVW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005, 09:00:45 AM »

I have one of the 6m models over my garage in the attic. Works alright and I make contacts. But...

One problem with HF attic antennas is the RFI they pick up within the house, and the RF they generate which interferes with just about anything electronic in the house.

My 6m attic antenna blows away the TV and the subwoofer with 50W, but my HF antenna which is 100' away from the house doesnt bother anything, even at 600W.
WB2IVU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2005, 02:14:36 PM »

Having lived in a rented Townhouse for a few years, I found the attic a wonderful place for shortened dipoles, 2/440 ground planes etc. You might want to explore the rain gutters. The work great with a tuner and typically are long enough to load up on 80m.
KB7VCO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006, 06:26:10 PM »

I'll let you know in a month or two…. I’m going to attempt to install the driven element and the 40M add on from my Cushcraft A4S in the attic. Currently, I am using an SGC-237 coupler tied to a horizontal loop about 135’ long.  Works pretty well for what it is but it’s limited to 100W.  

Good luck!

Mike – kb7vco
N0XMZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2006, 08:11:42 AM »

I use a G5RV Jr. in the attic of my apartment and it work pretty good. I've also got a 2m j-pole up there, along with my 70cm 5/8-wave vert. & a scanner antenna.

I'm considering getting a smaller apartment & that will bring new challenges. I'm looking at a 1bd w/ a loft. The loft will be the hamshack and I'm thiking about either an indoor vertical (or sloper) or some thin wire in the trees by the balcony (or both!).

I'll be so glad when I get out of apartment living.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: