Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Code Tapes  (Read 260 times)
KA5REJ

Ignore
« on: December 08, 2004, 10:52:38 AM »

What is the best code tapes for learning 18 to 30 wpm and learning entire words at 18 to 30 wpm?
G7HEU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2004, 11:06:37 AM »

I don't know about tapes but I found this web yesterday:

http://www.aa9pw.com/radio/morse_new.html

I hope it's useful.

Steve
M0HEU / G7HEU.
AC5E

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2004, 12:02:48 PM »

Hi Mike: The problem with code records, code tapes, and code CD's is pretty simple. You soon memorize the recording and then you don't learn any more.

Since you pretty obviously have a computer I would strongly suggest you get a random code generating program such as NuMorse Pro.

This program drills you on calls, the common words that are so often a stumbling block (you wonder whether that was that or than and miss the next sixteen words), and random characters.

All those attack the problems a student faces from different angles and it will drill you until your tongue hangs out! Which is what you want, whether you are trying to build a body like Arnold or code copying capability like McElroy.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2004, 12:32:03 PM »

There are many PC software programs that will drill you until you hear CW in your sleep.  What I don't like about them is you're stuck in front of a PC to practice.  Another problem I've encountered with using the programs is you need to know how to type.  Even if you do, you become "programmed" to copy by typing, and not writing.  This is fine if you want to copy traffic all day at 40wpm, or just enter callsigns into logging software during contests.   But I found it hard to switch to pencil copy after practicing with a keyboard for very long.  What I do now is use an MFJ Code Tutor wound up about 15wpm faster than I can comfortably copy and let it run without writing or typing anything.  In a relatively short time word recognition begins to set in, and it helps my copy whether I just copy in my head, with a keyboard or a pencil.  What's nice about the Code Tutor is it's portable, you can listen while you do something else.  It's probably different for everyone else, but it works for me.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2004, 02:15:37 PM »

Try the code practice sessions on W1AW which cover 5-35 WPM and are available several times each weekday and at frequencies on several different bands.  See the ARRL webpage for details.
Allen
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2004, 04:10:58 PM »

go to  G4FON.CO.UK and check out his Free code teaching program.. its great
N5NA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2004, 05:53:31 AM »

Check out the bottom of the page at http://www.k7qo.net/.  K7QO has a writeup about using the ARRL CD's as well as a code course you can download and burn to a CD.  The writeup is good and makes an interesting point about learning the code by writing the letters vs typing when using a computer program.  You'll probably be writing the letters when you take the test so that's how you need to learn.
N5NA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2004, 05:57:03 AM »

Just re-read the question.....Never mind!
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2004, 06:12:06 AM »

I liked the Gordon West series of code tapes.  
WA4DOU

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2004, 08:43:46 AM »

For many if not most, on the air use of cw and copying W1AW code practice combined are probably the best exercises that will lead to increased proficiency.
KENNETH

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2005, 11:44:04 AM »

Another idea might be the MFJ pocket morse tutor. Very small, plug in some headphones and you carry it around with you everywhere like a walk-man. You can configure all sorts of different setting with it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: