Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best G5RV antenna??  (Read 2474 times)
NU0R

Ignore
« on: April 23, 2005, 10:14:42 PM »

I am considering buying a G5RV antenna and have noticed that there are many different folks who manufacture this design. I am wanting to get the best quality construction and performance possible, not necessarily the cheapest price, and was wondering your opinions on winners and losers to look for and steer clear of. I need it to cover 80-10 including the WARC bands. I have a MFJ 300 watt tuner with a 4 to 1 balun built in to use on it. I operate almost 100% PSK31 so 20 and 40 meters are critical to me. Any advice would be welcomed and appreciated.    Thanks Bruce NU0R
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2005, 10:53:29 PM »

To get the best quality, you'd be ahead by building the antenna yourself.  Most antenna books have the dimensions and details.  Please note:  there is only ONE G5RV, so there's no "best" one.  It's a 20 meter antenna that "works" on other bands, but needs a tuner for some if not all of them.  There's no "G5RV Jr." or other such gimmicks.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2005, 03:12:18 AM »

A regular G5RV (about 102 ft long with about 30ft of ladder line)happens to have a fairly low SWR on the low end of 80, the high end of 40, and 20 meters. On those bands it works just about like a dipole. Provided you don't have long runs of cheap coax between the G5RV and tuner, no one would likely be able to tell the difference between it and a dipole.

It sounds like you are in business with one.

If you made the antenna and balanced line exactly half size, you'd lose 80 but still have the low end of 40, the high end of 20, and ten meters with reasonable SWR on the 50 ohm line.

73 Tom

KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2005, 04:28:56 AM »

A dipole as long as you have room for connected to your MFJ tuner with ladder line will work at least as well as a G5RV and probably better and be a lot cheaper.
Allen
W4DL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2005, 05:09:37 AM »

Go with a dipole and ladder line; there are numerous examples and it will perform better than a G5RV at less cost.

Good DX!
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2005, 11:53:00 AM »

http://www.hamuniverse.com/multidipole.html
W5DXP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2005, 05:25:17 PM »

>NU0R said: I need (the G5RV) to cover 80-10 including the WARC bands.<

A G5RV won't do that well. A standard G5RV is a pretty good antenna on 80m, 40m, 20m, & 12m. The standard G5RV is, in general, not a good antenna for 30m, 17m, 15m, & 10m because of super high SWRs on the coax. 73, Cecil, W5DXP

73, Cecil, www.w5dxp.com
The purpose of an antenna tuner is to increase the current through the radiation resistance at the antenna to the maximum available magnitude resulting in a radiated power of I2(RRAD) from the antenna.
N5PIP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2005, 07:27:36 PM »

On my small lot I have 3 HF antennas. A G5RV, a 6 band vertical, and a 80 loop. The loop is coax fed thru a tuner for all bands and is only 20 feet off of the ground. The loop almost always out performs the others. During the FLA QSO Party today, I worked I4VEQ running 5 watts (Elecraft K2) on 20m phone. So much for a cloud warmer. The loop is an extremely quiet antenna. The G5RV and the vertical may have S5 or greater noise and the loop will be S1. The loop is my antenna of choice.
N0TONE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2005, 10:49:42 PM »

The best G5RV is the one you build yourself.

All wire antennas are compromises, one way or another.  The first one you put up will never be the one that gives you the performance you want.  If you waste your money on purchasing one commercially, then you'll never have the ambition to replace it with another, because you'll be afraid of having "wasted" your money.

The whole point of wire antennas is to build them, experiment, fiddle, futz, move, change and learn something.

You will not learn anything notable if you buy it.

AM
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2005, 01:18:46 PM »

If you read the articles written by Lou Varney (G5RV
himself), he says that feeding the antenna with ladder line
all the way to a tuner in the shack is better than the
combined ladder line + coax feed.

But I think your question is really about the quality of
manufacture of the different commercial products, which
nobody has managed to address yet.
Pages: [1]   Go Up