Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Th-F6A Aftermarket Antennas  (Read 747 times)
KV4BL

Ignore
« on: October 14, 2002, 03:23:45 PM »

I recently purchased a new Kenwood TH-F6A 2m, 220, and 440 Mhz ht.  I am thinking about buying either a Maldol Mh-610 or Comet Ht-224 aftermarket tri-band antenna for this radio.  The few reviews that I have seen indicate that either antenna is superior to the stock Kenwood antenna.  What I want to know, is if anyone out there has owned or otherwise actually used both aftermarket models and how they compare in performance on each of the three bands and in overall durability.  I don't care about the fact that one is longer and thus bulkier than the other, just actual performance on each band and durability.  As a sideline but not nearly as important, do either offer noticeable improvement in reception on 80m, 40m, or 6m over the stock antenna?      One ham who posted a review on the Comet offering had a link from his excellent home page to a Yahoo TH-F6A owner's group but my web acess system would not allow me to read any of the posts on there.     Any help appreciated.Thank You and 73,              Ray  KV4BL
KG6JKJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2002, 02:54:07 PM »

I have the Maldol antenna and love it.  The only two things to be aware of are that you should put an O-ring between the base of the antenna and the radio (I use a small piece of silicon model airplane fuel tubing), and it was suggested to me to put double layers of heat shrink tubing at the junction of the flexible whip and the metal base.  This will help reduce the chance of breakage.  The ham who suggested this broke his first one within a week of purchasing it.

The performance on all three bands is considerably better than the stock antenna.  From my home near the beach in southwest L.A., I can be heard through the Keller Peak repeater 75+ miles away from me overlooking San Bernardino.  I still get very little reception on the HF end.  Usually I just occasionally check WWV and rarely can I receive it.  I didn't buy the radio to listen to HF.  For anything above it, the Maldol works great, including 800mhz (L.A. City Fire).

I paid $35 at the TRW swap meet (brand new).  A friend I recommended it to paid about $45 for his over the web.

I hope this helps.  73's
KV4BL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2002, 04:53:43 PM »

Thanks for the tips, Richard.  This is useful information to me as I have ordered the Maldol.  I would still like to know more about the Comet with regard to performance on all three bancds if anyone is reading this but your posting is helpful and appreciated.  It confirms the one review I found here on the Maldol as to performance as well as making me aware of potential hazards regarding durability.         73,          Ray  KV4BL
KD5TXX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2002, 05:14:34 PM »

I don't use that antenna, went with a MFJ instead but anyway...The new antenna should not do anything to the HF bands, they use the internal antenna.  I'm pretty sure.
KC8FUV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2005, 06:49:13 AM »

I have researched antennas for the Kenowwd TH-F6A as I also own one.  I have found that there are NO antennas availible for HF as onboard HT antennas.  As for the 2/220/440 triband antennas, the availible antennas are the Comet HT-244, Maldol MH-610 and the Diamond SRH-320.  While each should preform better than the stock Kenwood antenna here's the real scoop.  The antennas all are rated DBi and when converting to DBd (actual gain) only two had any
+ gain and that was on 440.  Comet had the best gain on 2 meter, Maldol and Diamond had best gain on 220 and 440.  The best preformers over all were found to be the Maldol and the Diamond and they appear to be phically and electrically the same antenna.  While there are no walkabout antennas feasible for reception on HF reception can still be had by use of a mobile or fixed station antenna by use of an adapter from SMA to SO-239.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: